Off subject: wild turkeys

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Off subject: wild turkeys

Post by DanEpps »

Thought some might enjoy this photo from my driveway. By the time I got my camera and back to the street, the huge flock of wild turkeys were running away and these were the only two left in view.
Attachments
Turkeys on the run.jpg
Turkeys on the run.jpg (72.6 KiB) Viewed 15821 times
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Off on a wild turkey chase again, Dan? :roll: :lol:
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Those are turkeys Paul. We eat them for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We chase wild geese (at least here in the states). :lol:

I received a message from Al Navas with a picture he took this morning also. His flock of turkeys looked like mine did before they ran away.

Maybe Al will post his picture (hint).
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Dan, because you are a wizard, and wizards are ALWAYS up to something...it wouldn't be surprising if you were up to chasing after wild 'turkeys' and not geese! That's why I left the geese out of the picture...I mean you barely got the turkeys in the picture...never mind the geese! (Hope this makes sense!)

I was only pulling your socks! :wink:
Paul Ellis

DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Paul Ellis wrote:Dan, because you are a wizard, and wizards are ALWAYS up to something...
Darned right we are always up to something. :lol:
Paul Ellis wrote:...I was only pulling your socks...
Not wearing any. :lol: This "accidental" vacation sure has been nice...sit around all day, wear what I please...but I sure am tired of it already. I'm about over all the soreness and stiffness so it will be back to the grind in a few days. :cry:
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Oh yes, I forgot...not only up to something...sometimes UNDER something as well!

That episode of yours made me think of a wizard (actually he is NOT a wizard because he couldn't pass the exam and he has a hat with the word WIZZARD on it) Anyway, he always finds himself in situations where he nearly dies every time and you can hear a voice (his) shouting....
Ohsh^tohsh^tosh^tI'mgonnadieeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps a bit of an off flavour joke, but I still find it funny (especially now that we know you are ok)

:wink:
Paul Ellis

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

DanEpps wrote:...I received a message from Al Navas with a picture he took this morning also. His flock of turkeys looked like mine did before they ran away.

Maybe Al will post his picture (hint).
:oops: Alright, Dan. Here it goes - a large flock in our backyard, on their second pass along the tree line (cropped to eliminate all extraneous stuff) . Two toms (males, for those outside the U.S.), 4 hens, and the rest, their babies. My wife reports these sightings to the Missouri Conservation Commission.

I used a Nikon D50 with a 30 to 200-mm Tamron lens set at 200 mm, hand-held and shooting between sliding doors cracked a little to eliminate the glass reflection:

------------- Al

DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Al:

I see one tom clearly and what I think is the other has his tail toward the camera.

We have a flock that roosts on the hill behind out house. Every morning I put our dogs out back and the turkeys drive them nuts clucking and gobbling.

Come March though, we won't see a turkey until mid-May (hunting season :wink: ).

Why does your wife report them? Are they causing that much damage? :joker: Around here we keep things like that secret so we might be able to find them when hunting season opens. :lol:

Paul:

That's exactly what I said when the car was falling on me...must be a wizard thing, eh? :wink:

I forgot to add in the previous post that, yeah I'm up to something, and usually its no good! :twisted:
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

DanEpps wrote:...Why does your wife report them? Are they causing that much damage? :joker: ...

No damage, or she would report them to the Sheriff instead :lol: !

The Conservation Commission keeps tabs, as (I believe) the turkeys were re-introduced into the state several years ago, and they are trying to confirm they ARE reproducing. The State traded some chipmunks with another state. The whole thing is an effort to keep some sort of a census.

Stay healthy, Dan!!!

Al
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hey Guys, just got back from Montana on a elk bow hunt and thought I would post my turkey pics, they are THICK out there. Very tought o be back and get in the groove after 6 days climbing the mountains.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Al Navas »

Mike,

These turkeys are friendly! I could never get this close to the ones around here, as they are pretty skittish.

Welcome back. How was the elk hunt? I bet you had gorgeous scenery.

Al
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Nice closeup Mike.

We have so many turkeys and deer around here, they are getting to the nuisance level. The state Wildlife Resources Department keeps extending the length of deer season, the number of deer you can take and does but the population still keeps growing.

I haven't added up all of this year's limits, but last year a person that took their limits for the general season and all managed hunts could take almost 350 deer!!! Just the general season limit this year is 12 deer, 10 of which must be anterless. Most of the state is either sex for the entire season of October 20 - Jan 15. Archery season runs Sept 8 - Jan 15 and is either sex all season statewide.

If you like deer hunting, come to Georgia--we have PLENTY!!!
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hey AL,
When I first got there I thought the turkeys had to be domesticated, but after spending six days seeing them every where, I realized they werent.
They are actually pests to some of the people, they tear up gardens, get in to the horse feed, actually the whitetail deer are about the same,of course just the does, the bucks are not seen until the rut..Yes, the scenery was beutiful, up at 3am every morning and up the mountains you go, take the first bottle of water with you and then just drink out of the mountain streams the rest of the day!!! I was also lucky enough to be the only one in camp out of six to arrow a Bull, we were there just a little to early as it has been very warm out there...Check out this picture of a bull moose I caught out in the river eating..Hmmmm, same size picture will not post,keep getting a file to large error.
Yes Dan, I hunted with two guys from Tenn. they have a 1000 acre hunting lease and they begged us to come down and shoot some of their deer. They have a 3 a day limit and a very generous season. We have plenty of our own right here in Indiana. Although I usually only kill a buck every couple of years, I have promised the farmer that I will start taking a pile of does. Last winter after a heavy snow we counted 135 or more deer in one of his hay fields. Daniel Boone only wishes that there were this many deer in there day, life would have been easier!
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Yeah, the turkeys around here just stand a stare at you when you pull in the driveway and have to be chased away just so you can use the driveway. Its about as bad with deer and I saw where they just added our county to the bear hunting list. Its about time--we frequently have bears wandering around downtown!!!
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Here's this morning's turkey picture. I saw a baker's dozen (13) when I went to the mailbox and was able to get a fair picture before they moved on.

These are all hens and chicks...not Toms in sight this morning.

Mike--post some of your elk hunt pictures, we are all anxious to see them.
Attachments
Turkeys004.JPG
Turkeys004.JPG (947.22 KiB) Viewed 15631 times