Changing bits

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Changing bits

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Hi All,

I know you can change a bit in the middle of a nest and retool length. Does it have to be the same diameter. If its a different size will I have to rewrite the code.

Forrest
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Depends... I know, your favorite answer.

I'm assuming we're talking about Rolling Nest G-code.

If the replacement tool is smaller, you'll be OK on outlines. If it's bigger and you didn't use any extra space between parts when you nested, you may have problems with the tool touching (or worse) nearby parts.

Same type of issues with dados. (if the tool is even used for dados)
If the tool is smaller, you'll be OK unless there are dados in the job that call the new tool and the dados are now more than twice the width of the tool. Conversely, if the new tool is larger it is possible that it could be too big to cut the requested dado.

Since all dados and outlines are cut with a tool offset command (G41 or G42) the tool paths are correct regardless of the tool diameter. The problems come in when there's not enough space between the parts to accomodate the new tool, or in the case of dados, the new tool is no longer the right tool for the job.

Sure would be nice to have better sorting/filtering tools at the controller for times like this. Finding all the parts on the first 15 sheets of the job and excluding them from the re-nest one by one is a real pain. Sometimes it's easier to find the ones not yet cut and include them. In some cases, (like shelves and partitions that are different sizes in the same cabinet) you don't even have the information necessary to insure it's done right, you need to actually find and then measure the part to know which one was cut.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com