Shop Security

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Shop Security

Post by Mike Bowers »

Today I almost lost a friend & employee due to an armed robbery at the shop this morning. Crazy Larry was robbed at gun point, punched, kicked & pistol whipped by 2 aholes looking for fast cash at 6AM. I spent the morning with Larry at the hospital waiting for him to get the gash on his head from the pistol whipping he received. Never since 94 when I opened the shop at our present location has anything this bad happened. Larry will be sore, but still alive. I always felt safe at my location being I have an alarm, but now I think we will be installing video cams. My question to you all is \"What kind of security measures are other shops using?\"
Mike
We love what we do, we do it well.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Sorry to hear about Larry. Tell him I hope he gets well quickly.

Cameras probably won't do much to deter anything like that--just look at all the banks that still get robbed.

To me, the best deterrent would be for no one to ever arrive alone at the shop. Time it so that one person arrives and 30-45 seconds later, someone else arrives. If anyone is waiting to rob the first arrival, the second arrival should scare them away.

In your case, meet at the entrance to the park and one of you go to the shop while the other waits 30-45 seconds befor going to the shop.

A rottweiler riding along might help too :wink:
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Mike,

'Glad to hear that Larry is alive. It could have been much worse. Untill last week, I had a guy living behind the shop in a small mobile home. He is gone now and I put a motion activated light outside. I was thinking about an alarm but video would be a great idea. I had heard that the DVR video systems are getting more affordable. Costco has 5 or 6 on their website. It seems we don't take it seriously enough untill it happens to one of \"us\". Also, I have been much more safety oriented since Dale shared his incident with us. It only takes once.

Brian
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

My God, that is awful. My prayers are for Larry and you Mike. None of us, the world encluded, can afford to loose someone. It is ashame someone has coward themselves that low to infict harm on another and for what?

I invite that coward to inflict harm on me. Problem is I might like it...and it might just piss me off a little. :o
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Mike,
Glad to hear your Man will be ok. Doesnt that just anger you that some one would rather hurt a person and steal than work. I live in a rather small town, and am located not in the best neighborhood, but not a bad neighborhood by any means. I have had 3 attempted break ins in the last 2 yrs. I have lights and buzzers and the security company calls the police, so no one has got in yet, but it still angers me that they try.I also have chain link fence around the entire property.Some day I will still be in my office without the alarm set and they will get in, I sure hope they dont bring a knife to a gun fight-thats all I got to say about that :shock:

I dont think camera's would deter many of them, I imagine most arent high in IQ or they are to stoned to care.I would say trying to keep your entrances lit well and out in the open might help. More than one guy showing up together would also be a deterent.

Dans Idea of the rotten weiler, well you might have to get a different blood line than the one I been raising for 15 yrs. Although, I will say I would not want to be the one who tries to harm my grand daughter or my fiance Meg. (see attachment)

Once again sorry for Larry, but I am glad he will be ok. I think I remember you posting a pic of you guys in the shop or something a while back?If I were Larry and had to come to work before daylight, I beleive I would get myself one of the large stainless flashlights and practice getting aggresive with it..
Attachments
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG (968.54 KiB) Viewed 10567 times
Last edited by Michael S Murray on Wed, Oct 17 2007, 10:49AM, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Thanks Guys for the input, better lighting is being installed today, 9mm was installed yesterday afternoon :shock: Larry is doing fine today, he is now keeping doors closed while reading the paper. He says he is a bit nervous but will feels better having Mr. Glock with-in reach (I hope he will NEVER have to use it) I'll pass on your well wishes.
Mike
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Yes, Mister Glock is a good man to have on your side.. Did the asshole actually walk INTO your shop? I some how got the impresion he was waiting on Larry in the parking area. Does any one have a clue as to who it was?Probably looking for some money to get a fix of something.
Mike Murray
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by Mike Bowers »

Michael S Murray wrote:Yes, Mister Glock is a good man to have on your side.. Did the asshole actually walk INTO your shop? I some how got the impresion he was waiting on Larry in the parking area. Does any one have a clue as to who it was?Probably looking for some money to get a fix of something.
Yes both cowards forced their way into the shop as far as who, not a clue. The police were able to get some prints off the phone that was ripped from the wall. The officer in charge of the investigation was just here to check in on Larry. Stay tuned...
Mike
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Post by Jean G Voyer »

Sorry to hear about Larry.
What were they after? Money? They would be out of luck at my shop. I never have any money on the premises. Unless they were after tools. But a sign saying 'No money on the premises' might not be much but might help. And most of the cowards won't steal tools in an arm robbery. Too heavy to carry.
Hope Larry gets better quick.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

Do not know Larry but glad he will be OK, I'm still sure he needlessly suffered pain and anguish. I just don't have words in my vocabulary to describe the way I feel about the scummy crud sucking people that prey on others, and do them violence for no reason.

Got two e-mails yesterday obvious scams, bastards trying to get something for nothing from others, that's another...Oh well never mind.

Good luck to Larry and yourself.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re: Shop Security

Post by DanEpps »

Mike Bowers wrote:...since 94 when I opened the shop at our present location...
Its a good thing your shop is where it is and not over by the Devil Rays stadium!!! If it was over there, you probably would've never found Larry. :wink:
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Re: Shop Security

Post by Mike Bowers »

DanEpps wrote:
Mike Bowers wrote:...since 94 when I opened the shop at our present location...
Its a good thing your shop is where it is and not over by the Devil Rays stadium!!! If it was over there, you probably would've never found Larry. :wink:

LOL! That's for sure Dan!
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

You guys aren't going to believe this one , Larry's brother works at another cabinet shop about a mile away from here. Those aholes did the same thing to one of their workers this morning. These guys have something for cabinet shops I guess. What is making it easy for them is this new time change, it stays dark here until about 730AM. I'm looking forward to the new time change, at least for the security of daylight.
Mike
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

That's incredible!!! Does Larry just come from an unlucky family?
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

UNBEILEIVABLE! What are they after? Did they actually take anything from your shop? Doesnt seem like a typical business that they think they could get some quick cash from. Tools would be much easier get after hours.You better be diligent on the lighting and awareness, they might just be so stupid as to come back-chicken shits.. Sounds like it is time to add a 12 gauge with 00 loads to the toolbench assortment.. be careful...
Mike Murray