DXF Processing Enhancement Request

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Greg Cannon

DXF Processing Enhancement Request

Post by Greg Cannon »

I would like to request that the tool number be able to be spcified in the DXF layer name.

Currently, if I want a specific tool to be used for a Centerline or Chain, for example, I have to make a bogus, unique tool diameter and specify that diameter in the layer name, like so:

\"Centerline z0p5 d9p1234\" where 9.1234 is the diameter thet I assigned to the bit.

While this works, it is confusing and eliminates the use of tool compensation.

I would prefer to do something like:

\"Centerline z0p5 t13\" where tool#13 is the desired bit to be used. The correct diameter could be obtained in a lookup from the tool table.

This is quite necessary when producing non-cabinet parts or odd shaped cabinet parts that are not easily reproducible in eCabinets.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Greg,

We do have something very similar to your request in the works for Control Nesting. The user will be able to specify a tool name per operation tool in Tooling Setup. It won't be a \"T#\" specifier, but rather a string value to match up operation with tooling. The DXF file layer will contain the Tool Name in brackets []. The name will take priority over the d#p# so the dia. value can be left out when using the name option.
Greg Cannon

Post by Greg Cannon »

Thanks Ryan. Can you give me an example of a proper layer name?

In Control Nesting->Tooling->Operation Tool(s) Setup,
I have Operation: 14 Tool:#11 (Dia = 0.875\")
When I click \"Select Operation Tool\", the Description for Tool 11 is \"SE5610\"

I've tried the following layer names (and dozens of other combinations), unsuccessfully:
centerline [SE5610] z0p3
centerline [14] z0p3
centerline [#14] z0p3
centerline {SE5610} z0p3
centerline {14} z0p3
centerline {#14} z0p3
centerline (SE5610) z0p3
centerline (14) z0p3
centerline (#14) z0p3
centerline #14 z0p3
centerline t[SE5610] z0p3
centerline t(SE5610) z0p3
centerline t[11] z0p3
centerline t[14] z0p3
centerline o[#14] z0p3
centerline [Operation 14] z0p3
centerline O14 z0p3
centerline t(SE5610) z0p3

I've tried putting changing bracket types from square brackets to curly braces to parentheses. Didn't help.

I've tried prefixing 't' for tool, 'o' for operation and no prefic at all. Nope.

I've tried putting the name last in the list of parameters. No worky.

I've tried specifying a diameter common to two tools and using a tool description, tool numer and operation number. No bueno.

After 6 hours of guessing, I give up.

Please post a working sample, if possible.

Also, the documentation for DXF import seems to be out of sync with the latest version of Control Nesting. Please provide a link to a current document.

Thanks.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Greg,

Sorry about any confusion, but as I mentioned in the first response \"in the works for Control Nesting\" implied that we are working on this option and hopefully in near future it will be available. As of now, this is not an option.
Greg Cannon

Post by Greg Cannon »

Sorry. My mistake. I was wishing more than I was reading.
I look forward to the Control Nesting update!