Poor Render Quality

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Poor Render Quality

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I am working on some moldings for pediments and even though everything is created in eCabinets, the segments show in the rendered views. Imported curved or turned items also render poorly. This wasn't the case in version 4. What has changed?

Kerry
Attachments
curve.jpg
curve.jpg (159.89 KiB) Viewed 8692 times
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Kerry,
I am not aware of any changes to our rendering functions. Try turning up the level of detail under \"settings/preferences\". But I am not telling you anything you already know. I will check with our programmers on this one.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Todd,
It seems like eCabinets used to create more segments to make a smoother render when you model something.
I also noticed that when I save geometry for a tool that I have created using a spline, When I open that geometry again the spline is now segmented lines and can't be used .

Kerry
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Kerry,
The programmers say that there may have been some adjustments to the tesselation factors to help with performance. Also, we will look into a means of offering this adjustment to the user in the future.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Thanks Todd,
I can turn the curved moldings into display parts for rendered views. This will accomplish what I want for now. I would like to be able to toggle to get better quality in rendered views.

Kerry
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Kerry,

I'm surprised that you didn't realize that this was probably a problem with the \"tesselation factors\". That was the first thing that came to my mind. 8)

We need to be able to adjust the darn \"tesselation factors\" even if we are clueless about them.

Joe
Paul Huff

Post by Paul Huff »

I like the bends you put into this Kerry. Nice work!

By the way tesselation factors control the number of lines in a 3D model. More lines use more memory and computer resourses but produce the smoothest look. I think programmers try to find a balance between performance and the final appearance.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Joe,
I thought it was the tessellation factors all along but I didn't want to say anything.

Paul,
That isn't the correct curve for the piece yet. I was trying out the tool to see how it is going to mate with the straight moldings. I still have a little problem. I have already created eight tools to model this piece and still have at least three more plus some carvings.

I hope the programmers realize that as woodworkers we should never sacrifice quality for performance or profit. :wink:

Kerry
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Contrary to the most obscured belief regarding the tessellation factors there is a reality that needs to be addressed here. The scientific community dating back for years now it has been sporadically referring to this as the redundancy of chiliad.

This is an overbearing controversy compared to the never ending debate concerning the vectorization module. In fact it was quoted by a major leader in the scientific community, \"The graphical matrix is getting' a junk value in the display parts translation vector\"

Regardless of the outcome there is hope. Thermwood

Thanks for reading. :P
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Thank you so much Michael for clarifying that. 8) It's like I always tell people, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to use eCabs. I have no problems and I only have a BS in engineering.

Joe
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

It looks to me like you also hold a BS in something Michael. :wink:
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Hey Rick...I think Mike confused tessellation with tesla and got zapped :lol:
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

I hold a BS in my home and sometimes on the net. But that is only acceptable if the people have accepted the credidation from my former school of HK.

It could have been the zap from a telsa but I was clearly out of my mind when I quoted the scientific leader; Scotty from the USS enterprise. There is merit.

Here is a quote from Larry Epplin refferencing this as well.
I did find the problem though. It has to do with the graphical matrix getting a junk value in the display objects translation vector. If an object gets loaded that does not have a pre-existing matrix (such as a cube which is generated on the fly) the problem occurs. This is why ... They have a pre-existing matrix.
You see. I am not crazy! :roll:
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

That doesn't prove you're not crazy...just that you and Larry are playing in the same sandbox :wink:

The attached shows how easy it is to hit the tesla switch when one means to hit the tessellation switch.
Attachments
Toggle Switches.jpg
Toggle Switches.jpg (19.75 KiB) Viewed 8496 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

While in high school, one of my science classes built a Tesla Coil. They did a demonstration on stage at school once but couldn't play with the coil much because at that time (late 60's) most of the houses still received their television signal via antennae and the arc from the coil gave off enough RF signal to destroy reception for blocks around the school. Science is great until it causes someone to miss \"As the World Turns\".

Kerry