Fine tuning with edgebanding

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gene Davis

Fine tuning with edgebanding

Post by Gene Davis »

I could be wrong here, but it appears to me as if eCabs does some rounding up or something, when it comes to edgebanding and parts sizing.

Wanting to use PVC edgeband, which comes in at about 0.019\" thickness, I specified that in the edgeband material section. eCabs wants to call it out as 1/32\", and then size parts accordingly.

The net effect of this roundup, if it is in fact occuring, is that my hardware holes are around 0.5 mm closer to front edges than specified, moving my fronts out by that far.

How can I tweak eCabs to compute edgeband at the actual thickness when sizing parts?

Or am I just imagining this?
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Set \"Dimension Display\" to \"Inches and Fractions\" in \"Settings and Preferences.\"
Rob Frenette

Post by Rob Frenette »

if you are working in inches / fractions you will have to change to inches / decimal in settings and preferences. This means you will have to do all setup in inches / decimal. if you try to work in both, the program only goes as small as 1/32 and will round any number smaller up to 1/32.

Hope this helps
Rob Frenette

Calmark Cabinetry & Woodwork Ltd
Specializing in CNC Machining & Edgebanding
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

So how do I go back in and correct my whole library of cabs?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

One at a time Gene, one at a time. :shock:

Actually, if you originally entered the banding stock as .019\" thickness, it is stored internally as .019\" so you won't have to do anything.

Remember, the setting is \"DimensionDisplay \", indicating that it is merely the way dimensions are displayed, not stored.
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

I actually entered the edgeband stock as 0.018\", but the display of the stock in the banding list has it as 1/32\".

I am unable to tell whether the band is actually figured into the 3D model at the 1/32\" or the 0.018\".

How does one use the measurement tool successfully, to measure from one node to another? I would like to be able to zoom in and get a closeup of the parts, to see what, in fact, the edgeband thickness is in the model.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

If your dimensions are set using fractions, I'm pretty sure it is calculated using fractions. You need to change to inches and decimals to be sure you get the highest level of accuracy..
Rob Frenette

Post by Rob Frenette »

Gene

Dan is correct if you work in fractions calculations are made in fractions.
Working in decimal or metric is the most accurate method when setting up for machining. CN will convert the fraction back to a decimal and this might create some rounding also. We only work in decimal or metric so i can't say 100% if this happening. One thing to also check is your hole pattern if you originally set your front inset in metric or decimal and then you work in fractions, you could get some rounding there as well.

If you set up one of your cabinets in a batch and nest it, that will give you the dimension of your part minus the edgebanding.
Rob Frenette

Calmark Cabinetry & Woodwork Ltd
Specializing in CNC Machining & Edgebanding
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

You can't measure the thickness of the edgebanding directly (with the LDE or CE) because it doesn't have 8 nodes, only 4, on the front. Once you set your display to inches and decimal though, you can measure the overall width of the piece with the edgebanding, and then bring up the cutlist which will show the width of the piece without the edgebanding, the difference between the two being the thickness of the banding.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Paul Huff

Post by Paul Huff »

We have had a few customers with earlier versions of eCabinets change their shelf pin holes from 5mm to 3/16 by changing to or using fractions.
We did not have a 3/16 on the CNC setup at first so we would get an error writing the CNC code. We fixed this by adding a bit definition to include a 3/16 bit which was really just our 5mm with a new name and diameter. I am pretty sure this is not a problem anymore. As for the rest I don't know. The only time I use fractions is to make shop drawings and that is only because some of the carpenters complain about not being able to find those decimals on their measuring tapes.