dear Abby

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Geo Noeth

dear Abby

Post by Geo Noeth »

Dear Abby,

I need a kitchen table and chairs, nothing fancy just something that I can put in a kitchen. If there is one on here I cannot find it.

It really seems that the software could provide a little more of the essential stuff for those of us who are Cad-Challenged. Guess I'm in a bad mood after two hours of looking through every post the 3d files forum. I know it's free, blah blah, blah, but I'd be happy to pay for something I could use.

Stressed out in the sunny south,

Ps I put this on the other forum, but i thought I'd try here too.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Geo,

Look Here scroll down and you will find a 48\" round table and several different chairs to use. There is the table pedestal alone if you need to make your own top.

Kerry
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

Thanks for the help Kerry, but I still can't help but wonder who selected those sample files. I mean; 5 parts for a brass rail, 4 closet rods, 2 coat hangers including one of cedar, but no table, no chairs, a couple of bar stools that look like they came from a bar in the outback

If someone put a library of usable 3d files out there for a reasonable price I bet they would sell a ton of them. Something like the design sharing libraries.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Tables and Chairs

Post by Will Williamson »

I have some very good table and Chair designs that I have created over the years in dxf format I just dont know how to get them in to e cabinets or some other 3 d format. I actually have a whole house full of matching furniture. I was thinking that art cam would be a way to present the designs. I have also been considering enroute even thermwood does not support this venue I have dosens of pieces created in casmate which was enroutes predecessor. Haveing installed a cs45 510 in the last few months I have bought into the whole thermwood program . Iam still faced with the problem of how to present the designs to my fellow E Cab members maybe by this time next year
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Geo,
It wouldn't matter what the eCab guys provided as far as display objects, we would all need or want something different. There is so much stuff out there for free on the INTERNET that I think they are leaving that part up to us while they concentrate on the software. Anyone wanting to market a collection of display objects would have to create them from scratch and that is a very time consuming task and you would still not have everything people want. GE appliances, Viking Appliances, Wolf Appliances, traditional furniture, contemporary furniture, outdoor furniture.

For now if you need something post a request on the forum and it will probably turn up.

Will,
If you have .dxf files, they can probably be converted using Accutrans 3D to stereo lithography and then imported into eCabs.
Post one of your files and I will see if I can convert it.

Kerry
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

I'm sure what you are saying is true for you. And the other gurus out there. But, speaking for the great unwashed majority of us, or at least for me, I would just stick some accessories in.

The brand of, a range hood, for instance doesn't sell the job, but if I do not put one in, the presentation looks unfinished. The style of a table and chair are not my concern, but I would just like to show that there is clearance to get one in the kitchen and still walk around.

It's clear that I'm going to have to take the time to learn how to get this stuff and convert it etc. If I had a choice I would use a generic library and not invest the time.

Thankfully you or one of the others always step up and save those of us who are severely CAD challenged. Thank you for that. I would have had to quit using ecabs a while back if it wasn't for you guys. I don't want to sound like some cronic gripe-er. I really like the program and I'm getting to depend on it more and more (I've forgotten how to use a table-saw).

It's kind of like a marriage, I love my wife but sometimes she just pisses me off.

Thanks again
Geo,
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Geo,
Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great to simply pull display objects from a library. I use them for the same reasons you do, to show clearances etc. I do like to use the actual appliance if I can come up with it.
I think that the Customer 3D Files forum was an attempt to remedy this problem by each of us sharing what we have but that forum ended up having a lot of \"chat\" on it and the fact that there is no way to easily find objects have made it pretty useless. I seldom add anything to it unless someone asks for it.
Maybe we clean up the customer 3D Files forum so that it is just display objects and a find a way to categorize things so that it is a useful tool. Dean could help this along.
My vision of the 3D Files forum was that when I need a lamp I can search for lamps and have dozens to choose from already saved as .hsf files. I just don't know how to get things to that point.

I guess this would really be simple, post nothing but 3D objects to the Customer 3D Files forum and make the subject line descriptive of the object such as Victorian Floor Lamp. If you have a request for a 3D object, post that in the ecabs forum so that the 3D forum doesn't get cluttered.

Just an idea.

Kerry
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

That makes a lot of sense. It would solve my problem and I bet a lot of others as well.