MELAMINE AND RAMPING

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Zach Froble

MELAMINE AND RAMPING

Post by Zach Froble »

I have been experiencing some problems when cutting melamine panels. I am using a 1/2\" compressing spiral and while the cutter is ramping the up-cut on the bit is chipping the melamine.

I was wondering what everyone else was doing about this. I thought about not ramping and just plunging into the cut, could someone tell me what the setting should be in rolling nest to stop the ramping or any other suggestions that help.

Thanks
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Don't stop ramping, just set your \"outline pre-ramp depth\" equal to the upcut portion of your compression bit. You may want to do the same thing for your \"Dado/route pre-ramp depth\"

These are on the settings page in rolling Nest.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Zach,

David is correct. One question though, what compression bit are you using? Are you using the mortise and tenon compression from Vortex? What is the length of the up spiral?

thanks,
Zach Froble

Post by Zach Froble »

I am not sure what brand of compression bit I am using at the moment, but I don't think its a mortise and tenon compression. Someone else did tell me to try those, what is the difference?

The upcut on the bit I am using presently is 1/2\", so should I change the preramp depth to 1/2\" or is that to much.

Thanks again for the help!
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

The difference is the upcut. On the mortise and tenon compression sprial you will have a .25 up sprial that will allow you to also cut dados. You will either need to change your outline pre-ramp depth or change the ramp in so that it is very short but not a direct plunge.