@$%^&*! appliance engineers!

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Gene Davis

@$%^&*! appliance engineers!

Post by Gene Davis »

I am trying to design a faceframed cab that will house a wall oven over a warming drawer.

You would think that the wizards that design these products would size them so they go into cab openings that are the same width, i.e., if the oven needs a 25.5\" opening width, so should the warming drawer.

But no, it ain't that way. GE makes you wrestle with splitting 3/8 inch of difference, and others are similar. Only Dacor has seen the light in specs I've checked so far.

You certainly cannot put steps in the faceframes. What to do?
Attachments
r01044v-1.jpg
r01044v-1.jpg (188.04 KiB) Viewed 9571 times
Stack.jpg
Stack.jpg (109.12 KiB) Viewed 9571 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Can you edge glue a filler strip to the inside of the face frames on the narrower opening?

You could also cut a step in the rails...just rip it to the beginning of the wider opening then cross cut to the rip.
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

Gene,
Something like this? I cut the top part, but if the warmer drawer is the widest you would cut the lower part.
Attachments
FaceframeCut.jpg
FaceframeCut.jpg (23.91 KiB) Viewed 9543 times
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Paul Ellis

Post by Paul Ellis »

...and here is an upper faceframed cabinet with the stiles cut on the bottom part
Attachments
UpperFaceframeCut.jpg
UpperFaceframeCut.jpg (24.98 KiB) Viewed 9538 times
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

Post by Glenn Warner »

GE monogram warming drawer ZKD910 has RO of 25.5\". Also says to allow for 5/8\" over lap on all sides, probably for the trim. I think these openings are minimums, so if there is a 3/8\" difference, use the larger of the two and the trim will cover the 3/16\" on each side. I just looked at my old kitchen aid wall oven, the trim covers almost the whole face frame.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gene,
I downloaded the installation instructions for a GE Monogram 30\" double oven and it requires a 28 1/2\" wide opening and the 30 inch warming drawer suggests a 28 1/2\" opening also.
I downloaded the cad drawings and put them in my cabinet so make sure everything fits ok.
I did this Ge Monogram oven and drawer just a little while back and it works fine. The drawer is a little loose in the opening so I cut a filler and applied to the face frame.
Kerry
Attachments
gene_03.jpg
gene_03.jpg (59.37 KiB) Viewed 9488 times
gene_01.jpg
gene_01.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 9490 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Sorry Gene,
I see you are using the 27\" oven.
The installation instructions for the warming drawer for the 27\" (26 3/4\" actual) warming drawer requires a 25 1/2\" opening just like the oven.

Kerry
Attachments
r17755v-1[1]_Page_6.jpg
r17755v-1[1]_Page_6.jpg (824.21 KiB) Viewed 9479 times
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

Thanks, Kerry, but now you have confused me.

I downloaded quickspecs and installation instructions from the Monogram site, and the warming drawer indeed has its ROW at 25.5\", but . . .

. . . the specified oven, the ZEK938SMSS, has its R.O. specified as \"25 minimum, 25 1/4\" maximum.

I don't think this is really a big deal. The ovens fix into the opening by means of screws driven horizontally through the inside oven flanges, into the edge of the faceframe parts. We'll just doubleface tape a 3/16 shim strip to each side to pack in the opening width, and make sure to give it a little predrill before driving screws.

BTW, can the CAD be imported into eCabs? eCabs is DXF, correct? Any other DXF ought to just pop right in.