Modeling an entire house...

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Chris Robinson

Modeling an entire house...

Post by Chris Robinson »

Hi Everyone,

I use eCabs to render my jobs and people are impressed with how it helps them visualize their new kitchen etc. I have a developer/builder that like my work and has approached me about rendering the entire structure for marketing.

eCabs is great for rendering a kitchen but I don't think it's well suited for an entire building, exterior, landscape and all of the interior. I know there's programs like C.A. but it's learning curve is higher than ecabs! Plus, I don't have to provide any engineering data, just pretty, realistic pictures. I'm trying to figure out a way to eliminate duplication of work with regards to the custom cabinetry, too.

Currently, I have Rhino3d and there may be a plugin to help with using the architect's plans in dxf/dwg, but leaves me with the cabinetry problem again. The developer wants to be able to create walk-through movies.

Thermwood guys, do you have any thoughts on how we could use the designed cabinetry in a room and export to another application? Build data wouldn't be necessary. Possibly, just the room's objects as solids?

Anyone doing this kind of thing now? What are you using? How much time is it taking on average. I'm looking at rendering highend 3plexes, totaling 9400sf, 12 bedrooms, 3 kitchens etc.

Thanks,
Chris
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Ummm...if you recall Chris, Thermwood used eCabinets to create the rendering of their office expansion shown in one of the early member magazines.

That, however, doesn't address your need to produce \"walk-through\" videos. You can model the rooms in eCabinets then use something like Camtasia Studio to capture video while you \"tour\" the rooms. Then you can use Camtasia to edit the separate videos and create a seamless walk-through of all the rooms. You can even add Flash hotspots (if you create a Flash video) that can be used to navigate from one room to another.

I have a lot of video capture and editing software (including Camtasia). If you would like me to protype something for you, just shoot me an email.
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Chris Robinson

Post by Chris Robinson »

Dan, I recalled that article. So, I re-read that article. I wonder how they approached rendering the outside?

I have Rhino3d and apparently, there is a plugin that enables you to use the blueprints to create foundations to roof including guttering. It's pretty inexpensive too.

My thoughts were if I could contine using eCabs for all interiors and then use Rhino3d for exteriors, that would be great but I wasn't sure how to approach the movies.

Dan, I'll email you about movies!

Thermwood, I'd like to hear from someone involved in the modeling and rendering of the new building!

Thanks,
Chris R.
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Chris,

All of the design work and rendering for the building was done by Ken. Hopefully he will be reading this and can give you some pointers on how he accomlished that task.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com