Ecabs would not start in front of a customer

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

mikesand

Ecabs would not start in front of a customer

Post by mikesand »

Hello everyone,

Ive not been on the forum in a while, it is a shame that I have to check in with this problem.

I sat down with a client today to go over a very importaint job that has been months in the making. When I started up Ecabs I got an error stating that my copy or version of Ecabs had expired. This happened right in front of the customer. They saw the error message as well. Rather than making excuses or trying to trouble shoot the problem I had to reschedule another meeting.

This was VERY embarrasing. I drove an hour each way, I made a big deal out of this meeting, we planed a month in advance, and then I have to reschedule. We were still able to do some of the work... but I had really sold them on the whole \"designing togather\" thing. I have spent weeks working on this file, and months trying to get the job. This really hurt me.

I use production shareing, I have taken the Ecabs courses, attended the shows, spent time here on this forum, read all the availible books and info on Ecabs and NEVER was this mentioned. I have never heard of the version expireing, and now yall (the Thermwood team) have embarrased me in front of the biggest client to date.

I have always spoken very highly of Thermwood and the Ecabs team. I have turned on several of my friends to Ecabs. I have never said a cross word to any of you. But I am pissed over this. What were yall thinking? Couldn't there at least be a warning.

Fer cryin' out loud,

Mike Sanders
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

Mike,
Man that smarts to get embarrassed in front of a customer. The good part of this experience is that will never happen to you again. When you calm down you will realize that this problem was not Thermwood's fault. Every previous version has had an expiration date, and notice was given.

The reason it will never happed to you again is, that next time you will check your presentation before visiting the customer for an important meeting. It is easy for me to say that you should have done that this time, but you already know this somewhere deep down. Sorry for your pain, believe me I've been there.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Mike,

HERE is a link to the notice on Oct. 10.
I also received two emails with this notice and a link to the update.

If you didn't receive the email then you might want to check if Thermwood has a valid address or check your spam filter.

Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Apparently, you haven't used eCabinets for a while either as version 5.1 build 4 expired on November 1, 2007.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

I open mine almost every day even on sundays after church I may piddle around with it.

All in all I think maybe Thermwood could put in a warning message that pesters the $#!* out of you to update 30 days and counting. For those of us on cable and DSL will have no excuse. Dial up on the otherhand could take thirty days to download. :joker:
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

Post by Glenn Warner »

I empathize with your frustration but to lay it in Thermwood\"s lap is a little much. They have more than adequately communicated with users about this situation. One question though -- did 5.1 expire on the first or the fifteenth?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Mike Y...didn't the software used to pester repeatedly and everyone complained about it?

Glenn...according to the sticky at the top of the forum, it expired on the 1st. Either way, it doesn't really matter...Thermwood gave plenty of notification about the impending expiration and everyone was told to update before the expiration date.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

This just goes to show us all we need to keep updating the computers. Mine for example (cable) :lol: is updated every day. I use the builds on one of my computers only until I'm confidant enough with it.
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
mikesand

Post by mikesand »

I understand what you are saying, but this was a job that I finished designing weeks ago. All the renderings were done and everything. I am a small shop and I take a lot of remodelings as well. This means that weeks and even months can pass between cabinet jobs. Ive been using ecabs since v5 was released. I've never heard about this expiration issue. If the warning email was part of one of the ecabs store sale fliers then that is how I missed it. Frankly I have never seen anything usefull in those emails.

I really think thermwood should reconsider the renewal process.

Mike sanders
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

oops
Last edited by Geo Noeth on Sun, Nov 18 2007, 4:05AM, edited 1 time in total.
Geo Noeth

Re:

Post by Geo Noeth »

I sat down with a client today to go over a very importaint job that has been months in the making.
I drove an hour each way, I made a big deal out of this meeting, we planed a month in advance,
this was a job that I finished designing weeks ago.
All this and you did not bother to turn on your PC and check your presentation before leaving the shop, and this was all Thermwood's fault.

You do woodworking, you must be familiar with Murphy's law. Well computer presentations are Murphy's law squared. Always check everything and have a backup.

It would be a shame if you just blame someone else and do not learn anything from this.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

Geo Noeth wrote:It would be a shame if you just blame someone else and do not learn anything from this.
You hit the nail squarely on the head but, unfortunately, some folks always prefer to blame someone else for their own mistakes.

Mike S.

Rather than Thermwood rethinking their renewal process, perhaps you should rethink where the problem really lies.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

I've made probably more than you all. And yes many many were through the e_cabinet systems operator. (Me) one time it cost me almost $4700 bucks on a door order, I recovered and looked at what happened and didn't do it again. I promise.

But it could have happened to anyone with any software

Life comes at you hard pull up the boot straps
Mike Y...didn't the software used to pester repeatedly and everyone complained about it?
Maybe just a one time notice then. :lol:
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

When something goes wrong in my shop I just shout \"God DanEpps!!!\"

8)

I think it's a great idea to have someone else to blame, but it's usually my fault if something goes wrong here, even if it's something that an employee did.

I personally like to show clients just the pretty renderings of a job. I don't think clients particularly want to wait while I doink around with getting nice views of a project. The laptop computer at the clients place is for me more of a presentation tool. I sometimes show them a bit of how the software works, but it's something that I have practiced before hand.

Dog and pony shows should be setup in advance and well rehearsed. I learned that back in the 70s at Westinghouse. They were master show people.

Joe
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Post by DanEpps »

ROTFLMAO!!!
Joe Dusel wrote:When something goes wrong in my shop I just shout "God DanEpps!!!"...
Go ahead Joe, I get blamed for everything here whether I did it or not. :lol: