YouTube

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nick M Singer
Guru Member

YouTube

Post by Nick M Singer »

I love your presence on YouTube Thermwood!!!. What a great medium for instruction especially for those of us who can not pop in to Dale although I intend to within the next year or so. I would like to see more clips especially of all the little tricks for setting up and making fixtures etc.
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

I did not know that anyone had done eCabs tutorials on YouTube.

It is a fabulous medium for showing the way, as evidenced by what Google's Aidan Chopra has done for Sketchup users.

IMHO, it can eliminate the need for classroom training, and can even make it obsolete.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

They aren't tutorials Gene, they are marketing videos for CNC machines.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

I would really like to see a 5 piece door being made up with all the fixture setup on You Tube
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

OK So no one at Thermwood likes my idea. How about we have a section on the forum where one could post vids or links to clips of their Thermwood doing various interesting things?
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hey Nick,
You can go to my website and see dovetails being cut and a carving,
takes a while to load..
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Cool Mike! I would like to see more things like that. I have been working on my Thermwood for over 2 years now but believe one can always learn more. Like they say \"a picture speaks a thousand words\" Videos are very instructive and I would like to see how others do flip ops, set up fixtures, make vacuum holders etc.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Nick,
I feel your suggestion of video downloads is a good one. I'm trying the self learn process and will have some training but old habits die hard when you know one cad program backwards after using it for 2 decades.

If I could see the Ecabinets in a video form in say 5 minute modules that would be a 15 meg file if low resolution to download. I think that would be useful. I then could re run the same video a few times until the process clicks. Maybe a disk could be purchased that had the low res videos in high res. This download or disk could be used by new staff learning it for the first time.

Maybe a remote attendance coarse for Ecabinets training could be offered to those in far away places so we could have staff attend without the high cost of travel and accomadation. We would need just a good quality webcam, broadband connection, a fast computer and a quite room and we'd be set.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

What are some of the most difficult areas of trouble? Just to have some kind of goal for someone with a little time on their hand. If they wanted to contribute to a small video.

1 that I am aware of is the part editor.

Any others?
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Michael,
I'm in the very earlier ages of understanding Ecabinets but I can see just how powerful it is. Once I know it backwards it will produce some fantastic results and better still some accurate material cutting for the workshop.
I guess no-one has a great time on there hands but it could be as simple as someone having a video camera recording what is shown in the two downloadable manuals. A running narration would be helpful.
If they were 5 minute long and specific to a certain area. If numbered in a series so they could be watched in sequence like a chapter in a book.

Thermwood if wished to get involved now or latter they could use software that records the screen action in higher quality than the video camera and includes sound. Lotus used to produce this software called Lotuscam? Having a external outside professional production is a waste of time & money simply because most people are more concerned on the information and if its up to date than the slick sales presentation.

There is one accounting software firm that has these downloadable tutorials which is aimed at manufacturers. Although done by the General Manager himself so is a bit basic does get the info across. Every time a new video was done I'd get a email.

Of where to start I'd say start at the most difficult to explain by the printed word. Then work down to the easiest. Someone will always be at one of each of those stages.

As the program changes and develops the video's will be pulled off the downloadable list and replaced with the new info. This can can be mentioned when say a new version is released with new feature or refined feature.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Neville,

There has always been talk about video tutorials. And, because the software is so customizable, it does make it difficult to show everything. Not that it can't be done at all. but for example. Some people build euro (frame less) while others build framed. Some build with the stretchers behind the back while others place them in front of the back.

There are so many possible configurations that they need to be narrowed down a little. It does take quite a long time to make videos. I have video capture software. And, I can edit the file. Most people who are proficient enough with the software do not really have the time to develop a movie.

This being said, It will be helpful to have requests made for the particular needs. And limit the request to a slightly more challenging area.

cheers,

Mike
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

If I recall correctly Cab Vision came with a whole lot of Lotus screencam videos on a tutorial disc relating to all aspects of the program. Some of them were very helpful
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Nick M Singer wrote:.... Some of them were very helpful
This is the very point I was making.

Obviously no tutorial should be needed to open and save files. But, there are other areas that are desperately needed, I agree.

I can see providing editor type tutorials and maybe a few basic function types. In fact maybe even a tutorial on shortcuts alone. Shortcuts have been such an incredible asset to the quick production of my designs, it's not even funny.

Cheers

Mike
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester

By the way, where is this video on U Tube?
32Gigs DDR4
Corsair RM650
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Post by Joe Soto »