OT: NOT an eCabs job...

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

DanEpps wrote:...One question though...we were told to drain the water level to just under the skimmer for the winter. If rain runs through the mesh, do you have any freezing problems? I believe you probably have a little bit colder winters than we do here :D Do you just blow the lines out and not drain the pool any?
Here you go, Dan.

The winterizing of the pool entails removing as much water as possible from the lines near the surface, and putting in antifreeze, which is removed in the Spring.

The Winter cover allows water to go into the pool. This shot shows the water level only about 6 inches below the top edge of the pool, due to rain during late 2007 Fall. But you can see the reflection of the trees in the water peeking above the cover. The cover itself is stretched below the water level, due to the weight of the snow; the more opaque surface on the cover is a thin layer of ice.

The local pool guys know that, even if it freezes, the pool will be OK from a structural standpoint. Guess it must be the way they build them around here, which allows you to leave the water in...

Al
http://blog.sandal-woods.com

Al Navas
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re:

Post by Al Navas »

DanEpps wrote:...I'm just unsure what would happen when the water gets into the skimmer during the winter. Of course, we haven't had a "hard freeze" in 50 years so it may not be a concern.
Ahhh...Sorry I did not address this earlier.

The skimmer lines are sealed shut after winterizing, using large rubber stoppers. Then, to prevent ice from cracking the skimmer fixture itself, a large plastic bottle in placed in it, to allow expansion and contraction as the water freezes and thaws.

Al
http://blog.sandal-woods.com

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

We winterize the same way...blow the lines out and put the seals in along with an expansion plug (bottle) for the skimmer. The only concern I had was the skimmer box itself and whether freezing would crack it. Of course I've already winterized for this year and used to same old solid cover.

I might investigate the mesh cover next year though.