Help understanding tool choice for tenons?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Steve Dyches

Help understanding tool choice for tenons?

Post by Steve Dyches »

How does nesting choose the tool for cutting the tenon of a blind dado joint?

When we cut a 1/4\" long tenon it uses the 1/4\" (.245\") bit. When trying to do a special application where a tenon of 1/16\" L is neded we don't have a bit small enough. Since the tenon is on the edge can we not get the machine to use a larger tool? If we can, how?

Thanks,

Steve
Todd Miller

Re: Help understanding tool choice for tenons?

Post by Todd Miller »

Steve Dyches wrote:How does nesting choose the tool for cutting the tenon of a blind dado joint?

Control Nesting determines the size of the hole or pocket then selects a tool that will fit into that hole.

When we cut a 1/4" long tenon it uses the 1/4" (.245") bit. When trying to do a special application where a tenon of 1/16" L is neded we don't have a bit small enough. Since the tenon is on the edge can we not get the machine to use a larger tool? If we can, how?

If you could post the cabinet I could see if we could find a work around for you. But if you were doing a 1/16" wide tennon you would want to have a 1/16" or smaller tool.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Dyches

Post by Steve Dyches »

Todd,

Hopefully I have attached a sample cabinet with the joinery I'm talking about. Look at the Top's left and right tenon. Note that the thickness of the tenon and the dado width and depth are not the problem. The problem is with the length of the tenon. Physically I don't see why the tenon couldn't be finished off with a tool that is less than the 1/16\" plus the outline tools diameter. (1/16\" tenon + .372\" otline tool). Why does it need a 1/32 to 1/16 tool?

Thanks,

Steve
Attachments
Small Tenon On Top.esj
(2.94 MiB) Downloaded 333 times
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Steve,

I beleive the way that it works is because the tenon is 1/4 deep, it acts like a dado in which the tool cannot pass beyond the outside of the tenon. I also believe that the programmers are looking into this because the outline of the part can allow for a bigger tool to be used for the tenon.
Steve Dyches

Post by Steve Dyches »

Jason,

I'll keep this limitation in mind. However, FWIW, I would love to see the programing allow us to use a tool up to the combined size of the tenon length + the outline tool diameter.

Thanks for the responses,

Steve
Thanks,

Steve Dyches
http://www.frostkeading.com