Latest kitchen & a design question...

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

bob magnuson

Latest kitchen & a design question...

Post by bob magnuson »

Here is my latest kitchen design. I am trying to figure out what to do differently under the windows on the left. I thought about a cabinet that would be placed on the countertop and reach the same height as the existing short cabinets but I can seem to figure out a graceful way of ending them when they get to the corner above the wine fridge. any thoughts???

Thanks,

Bob
weis4.jpg
weis4.jpg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 8869 times
Michael Rice

Re: Latest kitchen & a design question...

Post by Michael Rice »

Bob
You might try drawing a corner cabinet on the right side that would sit on the counter top. But don't make it short. Make it the same height as the rest of the upper cabs. Visually, that would anchor both ends of that wall of cabinets to the counter top. Then you could play with the short cabs some more. If I were you, I'd do everything I could to convince the customer to eliminate those two windows and replace them with a larger window like the other one. I think that if they see the drawing you could make a pretty good case. Except for letting light into the room, those windows are useless, can't see out of them, and they ruin the look of the kitchen....IMHO :)

Mike
It's what you do, with what you got !
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Bob,
How about taking all the upper cabinet to the ceiling. this would allow you to add a curved valance over the windows and create a shadow box. You could add a rail to the short cabinets.
Remove the existing trim from the windows and cover that wall with 1/4" ply to match the cabinets. Trim the windows in a manner that they become a part of the cabinets.
You could add 5" fluted pilasters to support the valance.
Turn those ugly windows into a focal point.

You can repeat the valance and maybe the pilasters over the large window.
This allows you to do a nice stcked crown to tie evrything together.

Kerry
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Besides the other suggestions, and not knowing how far out of the box ideas you want, here's 2 more ideas.
1) Move the refrig to the right of the wall oven but centered under the two windows, assuming the refrig is not taller than the windows. Build short (72") pantry units on either side of refrig to the width of the windows. Above the refrig, do a shelf type design versus cabinets so the windows shine onto the shelf and you get a shadow box / indirect light effect this way too. And / or go to the ceiling with the cabinets and box in the windows. Where the refirg is now will open up that end for more counterspace.

2) Move the ovens to the corner and make a galley style kitchen. One wall has the refrig and oven units on either end with the sink and dishwasher between, etc. Leave wall open under windows and run a base set from the wall out into the room, parallel to the outside wall and with an overhang eating bar if that is desired.

All depends on what your customer is wanting for a look and for function.
Nice job on the rendering!
bob magnuson

Post by bob magnuson »

Guys, thanks very much for the ideas!!! Kerry, I am not sure I understand the valance/pilaster concept. Could describe it a bit more???

Thanks again guys.

Bob
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Bob,
Here is a rough drawing of what I am talking about. The five inch stiles with the valance could stand proud of the other cabinets and be fluted or whatever to make them interesting.

You could also bump these cabinets in from the other cabinets. If you used a corner cabinet and take it to the counter top as Michael suggested you could take the fluted pilasters all the way to the counter top also. You could then make the pilasters wider and add pullout spice racks or something integral to the pilasters.

The idea was to make the windows part of the cabinet not separate from them.

Just some thoughts.
Attachments
bob_01.jpg
bob_01.jpg (174.98 KiB) Viewed 8718 times