Constraint Manager Help/Bug

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Constraint Manager Help/Bug

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Hi guys,

I was hoping to get some help or suggestions about a certain problem I encounter in Constraint Manager. We have those kind of cabinets that instead of shelf holes have pilaster channels in them. I end up creating a 3/32" deep croove on the gables of the cabinet and then adjust all the spacing in Constraint Manager. If I need to resize the cabinet in depth or hight everything works great on the gables but the partions turn into mess. Because I have pilaster grooves on both sides of the partions the dimensions when I change them to be the same on both sides actually mix up and only snap on the groove on one side. It seems that it's not really possible to put part editor cuts on both sides of a part that are symmetrical the constraint dimensions even though applied on both sides after resize seem to get mixed and not appear properly after a change. Anyways I have attached some pictures of what I mean. It's not the first time I encounter it but I decided to see if there's a solution. I can work around it and create new cabinet with new depth or hight but part of Constraint Manager function is to save time in resizing so if it's not my fault may be it needs to get fized. Thank you
Attachments
left and right pilaster groove should match
Pilaster Cabinet - View 2.jpg (27.51 KiB) Viewed 11586 times
Pilaster Cabinet - View 1.jpg (30.09 KiB) Viewed 11586 times
dimensions only apply to the top side in Constraint Manager view window
dimensions only apply to the top side in Constraint Manager view window
Pilaster Cabinet - Constraint Manager View.jpg (60.76 KiB) Viewed 11584 times
Walker T Scott

Re: Constraint Manager Help/Bug

Post by Walker T Scott »

Georgi

Could you attach the cabinet so we can take a look at it.
Thanks
Walker
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

I dont know how to explain it. First I create the cabinet to the specified dimensions and then I pick the partiotion and go in part editor. I pick a rectagle from the menu and cut a pocket at 3/32" on both sides. You can flip the part in part editor. Form there I go to constrant menager and start adjustng the dimensions. At the end the grooves on the partiotion on top and bottom are on top of each other.

I am attaching my base cabinet from different area of the same project. Please try to resize it to different depth or hight to see what my problem is. Thank you
Attachments
Base Cabinet.hsf
(478.02 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Base Cabinet.hsf
(426.02 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

In the image you attached, you do not have constraints on the grooves on the back side of the partition (the pink lines). I just created grooves on both sides of a partition and constrained them. They worked perfectfully when the cabinet was resized.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Constraints need to be on both sides of partition like the image below. This partition only has one groove on each side but the process is the same.
Attachments
Partition Constraints.jpg
Partition Constraints.jpg (54.54 KiB) Viewed 11533 times
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Dann,

I do have constraints. When I resized the cabinet u can see how the constraints stayed with the top side only. That's why there are two constraints for each grove on the top part - the blue groves. I wouldnt put two of them on for the same cut. When the grove constraints are placed on top of each other(equalizing all the dimensions) and you try to resize it that's what happens - at least with me. I tried to clip the dimensions on diffent corners of the groves for top and bottom but when resized the constraints always reffer to the top groves only.

Dann, try this. Make pilaster groves at .625" wide, 3" from top and bottom, 2" from the front and from the back on both sides of a partiotion on any cabinet. Then resize it. Tell me what u get.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

You're right...it looks like something weird happens when the grooves are in the same location on both sides of the part.

This is something for the programmers to delve into.
Mark Hesketh
Guru Member
Company Name: Paris Kitchens

Post by Mark Hesketh »

I have run into this problem before as well. It seems that if two constraint points exist in the exact same 2-dimensional location, the points are viewed as being exactly the same point. If I remember right, I got around this by offsetting one of the features by 1/16", or by 1mm, or some small distance... small enough of a difference that the average person can't notice it, and it will still allow most things to fit without problems.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

There's aways way around in eCabinets to make what you want. So far that has been the only program we've used to make and cut our cabinets on hte router and everything has been possible. I encountered this problem somwhere in April - May 07 but because I could go around never said anything. Still a correction of the error will make our work less and eCabinets better. That's the whole idea
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

I reproduced this issue and I have the programmers looking in to this so I will get back with you gentlemen as soon as I find something out.
Thanks
walker
Steve Unruh
Company Name: Oak Tree Cabinetry

Post by Steve Unruh »

Has there been any input on this issue since it was posted in 2008? How do you place constraints on both sides of a flip op/ ie. as in a partition. One side only shows in the constraint manager - or am I missing something? I am needing to place a dado for a pilaster, (KV shelf standard) on both sides................and I haven't been able to figure out how to flip to the other side of the partiton.

Steve
Oak Tree Cabinetry
Chickasha, Ok
Thermwood CS 43
Brenda Hallman
Company Name: Northlander Industries

Post by Brenda Hallman »

Steve,
I am not sure that this what you mean or not. However, to accomplish this you; highlight your part...go to Part Editor. Now you see your part...note the directions indicating (TOP, RIGHT, LEFT or BOTTOM) as to which way the part is facing. At the top is a little pull down menu that says (something like) "C-Front View". Whatever, it says that view is will be the side that your cutout will be on. I do this alot, since because we try and not do any flip operations. Therefore, I put 3/8"Wide x 1 5/8" pockets in cabinets 5/16" deep for Kreg Screws to speed up assembly. Hope this helps 8)
Attachments
Medicine Cabinet.pdf
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 396 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Steve,

With your part in the constraint manager
Right click then choose visibility
Then Operations and check or un-check Front Ops or Back Ops to see one or the other.
Add the appropriate constraints to each,
constraint.jpg
Front Ops will show as blue lines
Back Ops will show as Red Lines