Tool stuck in spindle

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Tool stuck in spindle

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi all,
We have a cabinetshop 40 here and didnt think to remove the tool out of the spindle before going on holiday for 2 weeks.
There must be a bit of moisture build up or something and for some reason we cant get the tool out of the spindle.
Just wondering if there is a way to manually get the tool out.... The main pressure to the machine is at 100psi and the pressure to the spindle is at 58psi.
Any tips are much appreciated!
Thanks,
Paul.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Tool stuck in spindle

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Hey Paul,
When this has happened to us, we just gave it the "Shock Treatment" meaning I would tap a smooth headed hammer, ball pean, on the right hand side of the "Z" plate as it was attempting a tool change. If you have line boring you may have to find a solid area on the"Z" plate that is accessible. I found that if you see any discoloration on your tool-holder that this can happen. We clean all our active and inactive tool-holders with WD-40 and a fine scotch brite pad. Then clean with a paper towel. They look just like new when done and maintained this way. Now this just treats the symptom's and prolongs the inevitable so I would make sure you have your air coming in nice and dry. If your compressed air is dry but you have a lot of humidity where you are, since it is summer down under, keeping them clean will help tremendously. Being in Houston,Texas means 90%+ humidity almost 1/2 of the year and this is how we cope with it.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Michael,
Thank you very much for the tip, I will give it a try and let you know how I get on.
We clean the collets and turrets weekly with wd40 and scotch bright pad and we have a dryer which dries the air to the machine.
Thanks heaps!! :)
Michael J Starry

Post by Michael J Starry »

Doesn't your machine have the tool lockout switch? If it does, flip that, then hold the green button to release the tool. It sometimes takes a while, but it will release manually then. If needed, a small and light rubber mallet tapped very lightly on the tool as you hold said green button will release it. You shouldn't need to perform this while it is actually executing a tool change. Just flip the tool lockout switch and depress the green button on the spindle. Hold until it releases.
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Michael, I have tried that. I havent tried tapping it with a rubber mallet at the same time however! Thanks for the tip. :D
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Thank you all for your help, I got the tool out by giving it a tap while pushing the button. Seems to me that the operator has been miss behaving and hadn't cleaned the turret for a while so it had a fairly decent dust/moisture buildup on it.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Glad that worked for you Paul and you didn't have to get out the "Big Hammer." :joker: You might have to use it on the operator though to keep it from happening again. :wink:
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Thanks Dan,
I might just put his finger inside the head of the machine and turn the router on to clean it out next time :wink:
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

LOL u could try that paul but he'd need a retenshion Knob @ the end of his finger so the therm will work! or it would come up with drawer bar still open! lol
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Haha good point thom! Oh well, bring out the makita!!!
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Have either of you seen the TV commercial by DeWalt where a guy is drilling through a concrete wall and another guy walks by on the other side of the wall and...well, see for yourselves. :joker:
Attachments
PowerDrill.zip
(960.58 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Now that guy needs a hammer!!! :joker:
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

The rubber hammer tapping worked a treat. Just make sure to have a bin full of rags underneath the spindle cos it shoots those bits out like a cannon.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au