Ecabinets Course Manual

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

Ecabinets Course Manual

Post by Glenn Warner »

Several folks have referenced the course manual that accompanies the 3 and 5 day training courses. Any chance these could be made available thru the store for those of us who can't make the trek to the full blown sessions. Sound like this material is more extensive than ecabs - Made Easy.

thanks,
Glenn
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Re: Ecabinets Course Manual

Post by Neville Bastian »

Glenn I thought a DVD with the 3 days recorded with a window showing what the user was doing on their computer and what the trainer was saying. Then as you followed along in the book (which could be a pdf to save freight and printing costs) you could see what the user was doing then maybe pause the DVD and repeat the action on your own computer. When you are a fair distance from the training centres these alternatives may be the answer.
With the Ecabinets program evolving from year to year this would really help many to understand all the features past and future.

Does anyone else think this is worthwhile?
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Glenn

I don't know how Dennis Englert has organized the current workbook but earlier versions I have seen are not "stand-alone." You would have to attend the course to be able to get much from the workbook as it is primarily exercises without any explanation of the process that you would get from the instructor.

To quote Dennis from this thread:
Dennis Englert wrote:...Currently, the only way to get one of these manuals is by attending one of our classes or seminars...
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hmmmmmmm, I got two, maybe time for a e-bay auction and I could retire :D :D :D :D
Dan is right, there more like an exercise book if I remember, I am sure if they were helpful enough as a stand alone thermwood would have them available at minumum cost.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Post by Terry Davis »

I took the course last November and have the Sept 2007 manual, it is very helpful as reference because it is more of a manual.
Dan Voges

Post by Dan Voges »

The current training manual is only able to be obtained by attending the training classes, either the 3 or 5 day. This is what I use to teach out of and it contains mostly examples of what we go through as a class (In addition to the book, I go though a few examples and tricks that are not in the book in the 5 day class). For the new training manuals, the custom/room layout section has been revamped for additions and changes of ver 5.2, and it is over 200 pages alone (not including the other 200 pages for the cabinet/assembly editor). There has been some talk about having them available for sale, but as of yet, that call has not been made. It may be after the release of ver 5.2 or it may be after the release of ver 6.0.

There is currently a book that is available on Wood Workers' Wholesale that has the steps listed out as well; eCabinets Made Easy. However, this book currently does not contain information new of ver 5.1 nor ver 5.2. (I refer to this as an idea book.) It is still very helpful as it contains step by step instructions on how to add shelves, doors, etc. to a cabinet. This book is going to be updated here in the near future.

As of what information you have available, there is the help menu inside eCabinets, and you can also access a PDF version of eCabinets Made Easy as well. New for version 5.2, there are additional tutorial videos that shows you the different editor modes inside eCabinets (and videos that show how to use the new custom/room layout).

Your best bet if you really want to get a handle on how to use eCabinets, sign up for one of the seminars or classes. The software is FREE; for instance, you sign up for a class here at Thermwood (which I recommend for new users), you're going to pay $750 for the course plus your travel expenses. Hands down, it is still cheaper all around than any other cabinet software currently on the market, AND you've got the formal training to know how to use it!

If you purchase a new machine, than you automatically get 2 seats of eCab training here at Thermwood FREE*. If you attend the Thermwood training class and purchase a machine within 90 days of attending the class, the money you spent for the class will be refunded (if you so choose).

NOTE: This does not apply to eCab seminars. You can't attend a seminar using one of the seats that came with the purchase of your machine.

I'll make you a deal. If you sign up for one of the classes, I'll throw in the book for free, maybe two if your nice. :wink:

If you are needing further information, you can contact myself or Dennis Englart here at Thermwood.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Dan Voges wrote:...I'll make you a deal. If you sign up for one of the classes, I'll throw in the book for free, maybe two if your nice...
Hey Dan...if I sign up for the class will you throw in a CNC for free? :joker:
Glenn Warner

Post by Glenn Warner »

Rather than start a new thread I 'll use this one, since I started it.

Where does the new 700 page "Nearly Complete Guide to Ecabinet Systems" fit in with "ECabinets Made Easy" and the course training manual?
Do you get the book if you attend the hands on training?

Anyone have the "Nearly Complete Guide" yet?

Thanks,
Glenn
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

"The Nearly Complete Guide to eCabinet Systems" was announced just before IWF and was available during IWF. We had a copy there for anyone to see. It is nearly 700 pages of step-by-step procedures for just about anything. Of course, that's where the "Nearly" comes in. When you think you've described it all, then something else comes up with something else. I believe though that if someone new used this manual that they should be well on their way to pushing the limits of the software.

I just finished a 3-day seminar just prior to IWF. Many of those in attendance praised the materials and they were relieved that they were able to follow the guide for everything that I demonstrated and discussed, again step-by-step.

During the show, we sold around 20 of the guides and I noticed that our printer is busy, so I'm assuming that more orders have been placed.

The books that we use in training are the same materials. The only difference is that it is split into two books here so that we can bind them with an adhesive binder. The complete guide is punched for a three-ring binder.

I'll try to upload two short pdf files as a sample. The example pdf demonstrates how to make a glass shelf by exporting a shelf from a cabinet, loading it into the display part editor, and then changing it to a transparent material. In the guide, it then goes through the procedures of installing the shelf, associating it to the cabinet, and making multiple shelves. Further in the book, it demonstrates how to create a hole pattern from an existing hole pattern for the purpose of using the pattern to create shelf holes without having to install a shelf.

Anyways, the two files are short, but may be enough to display what the new manual contains.

Mike, I believe that your workbook might be version 4. So you might get a cup of coffee for the paper.
Attachments
700-002 DPE-Glass Shelf.pdf
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 382 times
700-001 Export Selection.pdf
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 323 times
Glenn Warner

Post by Glenn Warner »

Thanks, I'll be ordering the guide shortly.
Audie Mays

Post by Audie Mays »

I bought one of the "Nearly Complete Guide to eCabinet Systems" at IWF. Good Job, guys! It has already saved me a ton. Kudos on the organization - it is easy to get answers - Thanks.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

I may have missed this but what was the price? I missed seeing this on the stand and only saw Kens new book.
I did pick up too many pamphlets at IWF as I spent $100 on excess baggage with Delta.
Is the manual also available as a PDF so I can get it faster and reduce postage costs?
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia