Adjustable legs and clip on toe kicks

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Dion Phillips

Adjustable legs and clip on toe kicks

Post by Dion Phillips »

Hi

I am a complete newbie to eCabs and really like the product so well done to all those developers!

Most of the kitchen I install have cabinets with adjustable legs and toe kicks that clip onto the legs. I noticed that if I choose "detached toe", then the cabinet is suspended above the ground the same hight as the original toe kick. As I could not work out how to add the toe kick in, I tried to simulate it as follows

1. I took the std frameless base cabinet and made the toe kick detached. That way the cut-outs that were there for the fixed toe kick on the left and right panels are removed.
2. I then added a display panel to the bottom of the base slightly offset from the front so it looked like a toe kick. That looks great and once associated with the cabinet, I saved it and I could add it to my Custom Layout.

Here is the problem
1. If I resize the cabinet in the Custom Layout, the new toe kick does not resize with it.
2. If I change the material or colour of the cabinet, the new toe kick does not change with it.

I have tried using a stretcher instead and used a negative value for the offset to position it below the cabinet but since the stretcher has to be between the left and right panel, it ends up being shorted than the cabinet width and I can see any way of changing its length.

What would be great would be the ability to design the kitchen and then add in the toe kick across all the cabinets in the colour I want but I don't know if that is possible. Has anyone had this issue and found a clever solution/workaround or is there a previous post that is eluding me that I should read?

Thanks in advance
Dion.
Justin Melhiser

Re: Adjustable legs and clip on toe kicks

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Dion

Here is the problem
1. If I resize the cabinet in the Custom Layout, the new toe kick does not resize with it.
2. If I change the material or colour of the cabinet, the new toe kick does not change with it.
Answers:
1.The display part will not resize. You will have to delete it and add a new one with the proper size. If you used a second cabinet and deleted everything but the back, make it the size of the toe kick you want. Now both cabinet and this individual back (new toe kick) would be resizable. You would have to align the back to the bottom of the cabinet. Then when you want to resize you would double click on the cabinet and change the dimensions. The same would go for the back part. You would save this cabinet now as an assembly.

2.Now you will be able to change the material and color just like you would the first cabinet.

3.If you create a room you can create a toe kick for all the cabinets using a display part. If you changed the material you would have to delete the display part and add a new one with the correct material.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

In the standard cabinet library, there is a cabinet called "Detached Toe".

Modify the cabinet by removing the top and the left and right sides.
1. The software will not like it because it will cause the front to be deleted. The front panel is a stretcher.
2. Edit the back and give it a back inset to move it forward to the position of the toe kick.
3. Change the height of the cabinet and verify that the back is the correct size.

This cabinet, i.e., toe kick will slide in under installed detached toe cabinet(s). Since it is a cabinet, the size can be changed prior to installation or can be changed afterwards via the right-click menu under Adjust Cabinet Features, Resize-Equalize option.

The toe kick material will be displayed in the cutlist and nest diagrams. You can rename the toe to identify it or use a different material to differentiate it from other cabinet parts.

This should easily get you the look that you want, it's easy to install and easy to resize.
Greg Smith
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Greg Smith »

Another way that works is to stay with ' has toe kick', and change the bottom insets for the gables and back to the height of the toe. Then go to front toe construction and change the right and left to full dado, and in the contruction parameters for toe change the full dado depth to the thickness of the gables. Everything will resize with the cabinet. As for toe colour you could add a material called "Toe kick colour 1, 2,......" and change that materials texture to what ever you want.
Intel Core i5 3.47GHz, 8 gig RAM, Quadro FX 1800, Win 7 x64
Dion Phillips

Post by Dion Phillips »

Wow, I am impressed at the speed and quality of response from this forum - goes a long way to give me the comfort that this is a product worth learning and using!

Thanks Justin, Dennis and Greg. I will try your suggestions tonight.

Regards
Dion.