waterborne lacquer

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Geo Noeth

waterborne lacquer

Post by Geo Noeth »

Campbell finishing systems now makes a product called waterborne lacquer. I was wondering if anyone has tried it. It would make a big difference to those of us who are unable to spray solvent based finishes if it works.
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Re: waterborne lacquer

Post by Jean G Voyer »

Geo,

I have been using the Agualente precat for about 1 1/2 year now and I have been using waterborne lacquers for almost 7 years and the Campbell product is the best one I ever tried. You have to be ready for a steep learning curve and a more expensive product than solvent base but I wouldn't and I won't go back. The quality is as good as solvent base products.
I still use solvent base stains because of the better results and I don't believe that the stains pollute like the lacquer. The smell is the only inconvenience, the wiping stains that is.
For the lacquer we don't need an expensive spray booth and the fire department leave us alone. During spraying the guys wear a dust mask to stop the over spray and there is hardly any smell.
The only inconvenient that I found so far is the dust from the scoffing and the over spray goes on the floor and make it very slippery. Keeping our fingers cross we haven't had any accident so far. The guys are skating on the floor instead of walking and the don't seem to mind. Being use to it they don't mind.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
Geo Noeth

Post by Geo Noeth »

Thanks for the comeback Jean, I'll try it. Have you had any problem with it setting up in the gun?
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Post by Jean G Voyer »

The kind of problems you can have is the need for equipment that can support moisture. You will also need filtering before use. Like with solvent base you have to clean your gun on a regular basis. I find also that we have to add water a little bit above the recommended 5% but that hasn't given us any problems. The nice thing about it is you can build it up quite a bit before you get stressing problems like cracking: actually we never had that problem and everything is coated with at least 3 coats. You will also have a more natural color with the wood, hardly any yellowing common with solvent base. A good scoffing between coating is recommended but I find that Agualente has a higher tolerance than any other products that I ever use. But still if you have to use masking tape, use the kind that stick the least and don't leave it on for too long. The stacking is pretty good after 24 hours (I think Campbell recommendation is 6 hours) but everything that is stain we stack with paper in between. The resistance is great as most of catalyzed products. Agualente also come in a post cat formula at a higher price but I haven't used it. Most of post cat solvent base can be kept in a freezer after the catalyst is mixed with it but you can't do that with waterborne lacquer for obvious reasons. I hope Campbell will bring out a similar product for their solid color.
Give it a try but be patient and persistent and it will pay off. My guys won't use anything else, specially solvent base.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500