tooling question

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

tooling question

Post by David Egnoski »

I'm new to the router world, only having my machine for about a month. I'm currently using a 3/16" down spiral to cut the dados for cabinet backs and this works fine. What tool do most of you use for this process?

I also need to cut some small pockets, about 1/4" to 5/16" in diameter. The 3/16" down spiral is the only tool I have that is small enough to make these cuts. Not a great choice for that operation.

Is there one tool that would work for both operations?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Dave
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
jerry johnson

Re: tooling question

Post by jerry johnson »

Dave, I use a 3/16'" down spiral for cutting the groove for my backs too and it works great. For the pockets you can do a couple of things. If the pocket size is 1/4" you could perform the operation as a "drill" and use a 1/4" up spiral. If the pocket is 5/16" you could use a 1/4" compression bit and cut it as a pocket or get a 5/16" up spiral and perform a drill. These require more tools and holders which costs $$$ but I think either of these options is better than trying to use the 3/16" down spiral for all of these cuts. I like having a lot of different bits because, for me, it helps keep my options open to perform a wide variety of machining set ups. Keep experimenting until you find what works best for you though. Another thing, don't be afraid of spending some cash in the early stages of your learning curve because you might miss out on some cool way of doing something that you, otherwise, wolud have never thought of. Don't be afraid to think outside the box! Hope this helps. 8)
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Re: tooling question

Post by David Egnoski »

Thanks for the response Jerry. It's reassuring to hear how others do these things. I think I'll get a 1/4" comp bit and add it to my tool selection. Well said Jerry.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork