DXF File - already nested.

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

DXF File - already nested.

Post by David Hall »

I've got a customer that wants to supply me with DXF files that are already nested. i.e. One DXF file with many outlines/parts in the same file. (not cabinet parts)

RN doesn't choke on the file, but it doesn't place it completly on the sheet. It appears to take the part in the upper left corner of the DXF file and place it in the lower left corner (operator's view) of the sheet, leaving everything else on the sheet hanging off the front of the machine.

Is there a layer name that I can use for the sheet outline? like a heirarchy between outline, border, panel, and board layer names?

Placing an \"outline\" (slightly smaller than the sheet size) around the part outlines didn't work.

Yes, I could cut and paste each part into a separate file -- too much work, dozens of files, hundreds of parts and no guarantee that RN would nest it as efficiently.

Yes I could manually mess with the X and Y Shift to coax it back onto the sheet. But since each file is different, this would be hit and miss at best.

Yes, I could run it through a CAM package, but these are simple outlines, drills, dados, and a few pockets. Using RN would save me lot's of time if it can handle it.

Any ideas? Any undocumented layer names that might help?

Thanks.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Bill Rutherford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Bill Rutherford »

David,
All I have ever been able to do with this type situation is delete all but one part from the file, save it, delete all but a different part, save it under a different name and so on. It is cumbersome, and not very fast but I am usually dealing with a max of 40 - 50 parts. I am curious why your customer nested the parts and did not supply them to you as needed for manufacturing. I will be watching this thread carefully to see if anyone else has a better answer.

Bill
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Just in case you were watching this but missed the RN 4.78 release notes, I think we're there. Yahoooo!

Changes/Additions for v4.78 (10/31/05)
Some metric through cuts were pocketing the entire area bounded by the cut. (FIXED)
Nesting can be accomplished to the edge of the sheet. The option is available in Settings. When the check box is selected the parts will be nested to the edge of the sheet. The tool paths will still cut completely around the parts. (ADDED)
Chain layer in DXF files. This allows cutting a closed loop in a part. The layer can designate inside or outside cutter compensation. This feature is useful for designing a manual nest with DXF or simply another tool for cutting interior perimeters. (ADDED)
-Example1, ‘chain compin z0p75 d0p25’ means a closed loop toolpath with cutter compensation on the inside at a depth of 0.75” with a 0.25” diameter tool. The cutter direction is designated by the climb or conventional setting. Double pass area designation is also obeyed.
-Example2: ‘backchain compout z0p5 d0p375’ means a closed loop toolpath with cutter compensation on the outside at a depth of 0.5” with a tool of 0.375” diameter.
Order of operations in DXF. If a number is added to the end of a layers designator name it will use that order in operations. (ADDED)
-Example: A part with 3 operations could be done with 3 different layer names.
‘centerline1 z0p75 d0p5’
‘centerline2 z0p82 d0p25’
‘centerline3 z0p85 d0p125’
Mixing of different layer types is allowed. Control nesting will do it’s best to keep tool changes to a minimum.
When using the Chain layer name the number should be after the compin or compout. ‘chain compin1 z0p75 d0p5’
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com