Corner cabinet installation

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

ScotAcree
Company Name: Scot Acree Woodworkig LLC

Corner cabinet installation

Post by ScotAcree »

I am making an upper corner cab(54"h) that will extend down to the counter top, which will have a run of 30" upper cabinets mounted to both sides of corner, mounted at normal height above counter and have 2 questions.
1.the client would rather have a solid door rather than a tambour door,but they want the door to swing out of the way or up to gain the most counter space.By swing out of the way I me more than a 170 degrees,maybe so it could swing around the 1.625"w face frame to the side of cabinet.

2.when installing the cabinet I am sure their are some work around on how to place the counter under the corner cabinet being that I would like to have all cabinets installed beforehand.Client is having a tiled surface counter.My thoughts on installing are
-have a gap between the bottom corner cabinet and future counter and fill with trim after tile is installed.
-install cab. up 3" until tile is installed and come back and lower it,say only use a few screws into studs then drop down
-mount base cabinets only, wait on tile installation, then mount the upper cabinets,which not too excited about.

I have seen many of your web sites having corner cabinets built onto counters and I have never built corner cab this long or installed before.Any comments????

Scot
Attachments
ScreenHunter_03 Aug. 01 08.41.gif
ScreenHunter_03 Aug. 01 08.41.gif (54.02 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
Gene Kimmi

Re: Corner cabinet installation

Post by Gene Kimmi »

Scott,

We have built quite a few of the corner uppers that set on the counter. We install them to the ceiling until the counter is in then go back and lower them and trim.
One thing we do different than your design is build them with a floor and bottom rail. If you did this, and had the substrate for the tile counter, you could set the cabinet on the substrate and tile to the cabinet. You wouldn't need tile under the cabinet.
Gene Kimmi
Lenovo W540 windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i-7 4800MQ @ 2.7GHz 8 GB ram
Intel HD & NVIDIA Quadro K2100M Graphics
Samsung 256 SSD Drive
ScotAcree

Post by ScotAcree »

Gene,
That is a great idea.My base corner has .75" tops.I could just set it on top of it as long as I find the thickness of the counter.

What kind of hinge do you use for your door?

Other ideas from anyone else would be helpful.

Scot
Lamar Horton

Post by Lamar Horton »

As far as your door goes my KV rep stopped by the other day and showed me a "Flip up and slide in" mechanism for solid doors. Look up the 8040 thru 8045 series and the 8050 EZ Hinged Door Slide.
ScotAcree

Post by ScotAcree »

I seen that Blum makes an Aventos HL lift up system.Has anybody tried this before fot the appliance garage??
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

we have used both.The K&V work ok but you have to ensure that the door is pulled firmly outwards before you lower it down or it can "pick up" on the hinges and damage the door.They do supply roller mounts to help prevent this.the Aventos is relatively new here but we find it works fine especially the "soft close" be aware of the loss of space from the side mounts(which is minimal.overall I would say the Aventos lift up is more user friendly but then the door sticks out where as the K&V only sticks out enough to clear the handle :|