I need help with this assembly

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

I need help with this assembly

Post by JohnLashuay »

Attached is an assembly that I am working on. For some reason this assembly is really slowing down my computer when I try to work with it. Can someone take a look and see what might be causing the slow down?

Thanks,
John
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43
Lamar Horton

Re: I need help with this assembly

Post by Lamar Horton »

I downloaded the file and when selecting the icon my computer all but locked up, so I'm no help.
JohnLashuay
Guru Member

Post by JohnLashuay »

Lamar,

Thanks for trying!

I went back in and broke up the assembly and I reallized that part of the problem seems to be the texture that I used for the material. For the texture, I scanned in a sample of my actual material so the size of the file is 400+ kb. I noticed that most other textures are under 100kb. Could this be the problem? If so, is there a way to scan in my own woodgrain textures without having a huge file?

Thanks again,
John
Thermwood CS 43
Lamar Horton

Post by Lamar Horton »

I don't see why you couldn't reduce the size of your scan. I think you only need a small section and ecabinets will tile the image to cover the cabinet parts. I took a photo of a brick wall and saved it as a texture, it is a 1 meg file and probably could be a lot smaller. Some of the wood grain images are only 2 or 3 KB.
JohnLashuay
Guru Member

Post by JohnLashuay »

Having that brick wall as a 1mb file, doesn't that have an effect on the speed of working with that job?

I'd like to be able to reduce the file size of these textures that I use regularly. Do you know if that is even possible?
Thermwood CS 43
Lamar Horton

Post by Lamar Horton »

The job I used it on was fairly small. I suppose I could reduce the size of the file and still have it work. If you have any type of picture editing software you can reduce the size of the image there. I would try to reduce the size down to about 50KB and see how that work.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

John,

I had an error when I opened your file. It couldn't find the jpeg so I am guessing it is something to do with your image. What size is your scanned image? The images in materials are all 100 X 100 pixels and around 1.25 KB in size. I would reduce your scanned image to this size and that will drop the file size. If it is still a large file you can use something like Adobe Image Ready or XAT.com image optimizer to reduce the file size. A lot of scanners will let you scan at a lower resolution. Scan at 72 DPI as that is screen resolution. If you scan your image at 300 or 700 DPI then it will create a large file.

Kerry
JohnLashuay
Guru Member

Post by JohnLashuay »

Thanks guys for your help!

Kerry I'll see if recanning it with a lower resolution will help.

John
Thermwood CS 43
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

FWIW- I use a utility called "Image Resizer Power Toy for Windows XP" which gives you a right-click menu option to resize an image to save space, display faster and xmit (online) quicker, with little apparent loss of visual quality. I use it all the time to "shrink" my multi-megapixel camera shots down to something like 50kb files.
I'm sure you can find it by Googling, or go to Microsoft downloads site and search for it - it's an MS-XP utility add-on.
Joe Harkin
JohnLashuay
Guru Member

Post by JohnLashuay »

Joe,
Thanks for the info! Thankfully rescanning at a lower resolution worked, but I'll look into this software you mentioned when I get a chance.

John
Thermwood CS 43