Countertop and Cutting in for Sinks

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

Countertop and Cutting in for Sinks

Post by JohnLashuay »

Currently when I add a countertop to a cabinet, I make the top shelf a different material that fit the specs that I need. Then I take the top to the parts editor and cut a hole for a sink. I am finding that I am repeating this process every time and it is time consuming.

Any words of advice? What is the best way to cut out for a sink, and is it possible to save this to be able to duplicate it relatively easily?

Thanks,
John
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43
Paul Ellis

Re: Countertop and Cutting in for Sinks

Post by Paul Ellis »

John,
If the cutout that you make is the same every time, it is relatively easy to save this and then re-use it later on.
Take one of your tops that you already cut out to the part editor. Go into contour mode and right-click, select the CreateEdges. This will create blue edge lines. Delete the ones that you don't want (typically the outside edges of the top). While still in contour mode, right click again and select Load Geometry. This option will then tell you that your profile pattern has changed, do you want to save it? Save this, as this is the one that you will later load again and use to make the cut-out.
NOTE: SAVE THIS IN A PLACE YOU WILL REMEMBER! It will save it in a Profile Tool Files format (*.x_t) After saving it, do not load any geometry (escape out of the loading option) Go out of contour mode and out of the part editor.
Now, take an unmodified top to the part editor and go into contour mode. Right click and load geometry. Do not save any profile patterns if it asks you to do so. It will then try to load a DXF file, but click on the drop-down and you will have a choice to pick *.x_t file type. Go to the directory where you previously saved the profile and click on it. Click on OK and you should have your profile loaded. You can then position it where you want and then exit out of contour mode and cut your pocket.
HTH
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
JohnLashuay
Guru Member

Post by JohnLashuay »

Paul,

Aside from sink cut outs, do you use the countertop editor in the custom layout, or do you go a different direction?

I am currenly designing an office where there is only 1 cabinet under the desk top. What is the best way to make the top? The top goes into a corner where there is a 45 degree angle and then it extends out one side about 4'. I don't use the countertop editor because there aren't enough cabinets to attach it to. So I usually make up a display cube and cut it and profile the edge. Again,...is there a better way to do this?

John
Thermwood CS 43
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hey John, here is a link to Kerry's method of placing makers for c-top placement.
http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... ght=marker
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Another method is to place cabinets where you want the c-top to be, construct your top then delete the cabinets.
JohnLashuay
Guru Member

Post by JohnLashuay »

Thanks Rick,

Can a sink be cut into the countertop made in the countertop editor?
Thermwood CS 43
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Yes! Hilite the part, right click, edit, and take to part editor.
JohnLashuay
Guru Member

Post by JohnLashuay »

Rick,

Thanks, I didn't realize that could be done that way. It seems much easier than the way I was going.

John
Thermwood CS 43