Automatic Oiler

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Gary Urlacher

Automatic Oiler

Post by Gary Urlacher »

I have the auto lub addition on my CS45. How can you tell if it is set up correct.
There is air getting to the oiler but I can't confirm that oil is getting to the bearings etc?

Thanks in advance,

Gary Urlacher
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Re: Automatic Oiler

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Gary

Where you put the oil in to at the top there should be a little pipe on the top. and that should make 1 dop every 5 to 10 secs, That then goes down the tubes to hit the areas that get lubed.

Cheers

Thom Davies
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Thom, I was wondering that same question about mine, but I found it hard to hang on to the gantry going back and forth and watch that oiler at the same time. You will fall off if your not careful. :joker:
Damon Nabors
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Gary, we cranked it up until it dripped oil out the bearings and then backed it off. Also, we found that we had to tweek some things to get the oil evenly distributed to all the bearings. We moved the block that is on the back of the gantry a little out of level and even put some tooth picks in some of the tubes that were getting too much oil. On the Z axis oiler make sure that the glass bowl with the feeder tubes coming out the bottom is level in all directions or you get uneven distribution there too. 8)
Gary Urlacher

Post by Gary Urlacher »

Thanks for the tips. I will play with it.

Gary
Brian Smiddy
Thermwood Team

Post by Brian Smiddy »

Hello Gary,
The easiest test is to remove the 1/8" line at the bearing and hold it up to a piece of glass and see if oil residue appears, if nothing appears I would look for a pinched or broken line. The THK linear product we use needs only a "thin film of oil to prevent fretting and corrosion". As in all mist type lubricators some bearings do get more lube than others, liquids do tend to follow the path of least resistance, but the system is set here to adequately lubricate the machine. I talked with field service and we have never replaced a bearing or rail on a CS45 machine.

I have attached the Autolube section from the model 45 manual as a reference.

Regards,
Brian Smiddy
Thermwood Engineer
Attachments
Autolube Lubrication System.pdf
(52.15 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Last edited by Dean Fehribach on Mon, Aug 18 2008, 4:30PM, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed file download to PDF for web compatibility and smaller file size. - Admin
Dan Voges

Post by Dan Voges »

As an additional note to the autolube system; Oil is applied whenever the machine is OUT of E STOP. So, if you have your machine sitting idle and out of E-STOP, your bearings will be getting lubrication. This can be expecially messy if you leave it out of E STOP for a lengthy period of time with no machine motion. It then tends to puddle up and can drip on parts that it is machining. So the best rule of thumb, when you leave your machine, make sure it's in E STOP. 8)

The type of oil that should be used in the system is critical as well. I know of a lot of people that have tried to use air tool oil thinking that was good enough. A lot of the air tool oils that I have seen are actually 10W, IF they are labeled, or not labeled at all. If you use this, make SURE it's nothing over 5W. Thermwood recommends the 5W spindle oil for a reason. It has great flow rates and atomizes with greater efficiency. What I have seen of people that do happen to use the air tool oil, being of an unknown weight or 10W, is that they will work for a period of time, but then they eventually plug up and will no longer disperse oil. When this happens, they almost always need replaced as it is very difficult to get them to work correctly after that.
Gary Urlacher

Post by Gary Urlacher »

Thanks for the note Dan,
I know about the estop thing. I am glad you mentioned about the oil. The machine says to use 5w oil. When I got the machine from
CNC Automation, I ordered some oil as well. The sent me 5 gal of 10w oil. When I recieved it, I questioned the 10w and they said it was OK.
I also showed the tech when he came to set up the machine, he also made a phone call and then said it was OK.

I will not plan on using is becouse of what the machine says and your post. I am still running off of the oil that came in the machine. Thus far
I have not had to add any. Can I get the correct oil from the Thermwood store??

Gary
Dan Voges

Post by Dan Voges »

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Somehow I had overlooked this post.

Your answer is yes.

Our catalog department sells it as well it is available for sale on woodwoorkerswholesale.com. Our part number is FSC1.

Here is the link: http://www.woodworkerswholesale.com/Tra ... sc0001.htm

It is for sale by the gallon, so you it should be easier to handle. :D

If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call:
800-533-6901

Thanks!