Blind corner suggestions?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

ScotAcree
Company Name: Scot Acree Woodworkig LLC

Blind corner suggestions?

Post by ScotAcree »

I have 2 cabinets and am looking for some ideas on joining them together.My thoughts are to make a filler board on a 45 degree angle or make the left and right stiles of the 2 cabinets have about 2" scribes and screw together.

Open to any ideas or pictures that you have done on other jobs.

Much appreciated,

Scot
Attachments
9.jpg
9.jpg (72.27 KiB) Viewed 13529 times
Lamar Horton

Re: Blind corner suggestions?

Post by Lamar Horton »

I make my cabinets about 24 inches wider then use a 3 or 4 inch stile on the corner and apply a inset of 23 inches. This makes a cabinet that goes all the way into the corner, utilizing the corner space. I make sure to use wider stiles in the corners to allow for hardware on the drawers to not interfere with opening drawers.
ScotAcree

Post by ScotAcree »

I had thought about that,just seemed hard to get items out of the cabinets without some expensive hardware.Appreciate the input Lamar.

I should also give you more info. on the cabinets use as the picture does not show the function.The peninsula cab. is 24' w and will have a waste pull-out and the other is a 3 drw. bank that is 30'w to match the cab. on the other side of the range.

Scot
Lamar Horton

Post by Lamar Horton »

In that case I would go with the 45 deg angle board and join them. Too bad all that space cannot be used.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I would just increase the two styles that are going to meet to around 3"on one style and 3 3/4 on the other so that when they come together you have a 3" reveal to prevent a crash as Lamar has mentioned and screw the two styles together when installing to pull any gap out. If you go with a 45deg. angle board, I would be careful to make sure the over hang on your counter top clears the board, plus you are having to deal with two seams rather than one. I would also be worried about fastening that narrow piece with out it splitting. You could pin nail it on but then you have the nail hole issue.

I would probably still make that a blind corner cabinet with the trash can. You could still store those Holiday dishes or those once a year what evers in there. I would not have a problem pulling the can out if I needed to get to something back there.
Damon Nabors
ScotAcree

Post by ScotAcree »

Lamar and Damon,

I guess most people would appreciate the extra space.You have me leaning towards that application.If I get a few more ideas I will run these by my client and see what they say.

Scot
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

We to try and utilize the corner space with a blind corner assembly of coarse this is an added cost.Hard to tell from your plan view but if the back wall of the peninsula is a servery you could place another cabinet in the corner void with access from the servery side.If you want to disguise it use unsprung concealed hinges with a touch catch.90 degree corner scribes /stiles like Damon suggested are definitly the way to go on the other side where the two cabinets meet
Jon Kenworthy
Company Name: darrells Carpenter Shop

Post by Jon Kenworthy »

We usually use a blind corner cabinet for this type of a situation similar to the attached picture. The easiest way that I've found to make them is as a corner cabinet (in your kitchen you would have to set the right front width to the thickness of the right end material plus 1 thousandth). I've only tried this on frameless cabinets. We usually use the blind dado joinery but for the right end we pocket screw it on as the construction parameters tend to mess up when you cheat the system like this. We use 3/4" backs when we make this type of cabinet as the adjustable shelf holes will be drilled into the two backs and the two sides. We also use a full top. Then we use a Blum inset blind corner hinge. We did a job where we put a pull-out in the cabinet and the customer asked us to take them out and put a shelf in. Other customers like the pull-outs which would be an extra expense.
Blind Corner Cabinet.jpg
Blind Corner Cabinet.jpg (13.85 KiB) Viewed 13235 times
ScotAcree

Post by ScotAcree »

Thanks for the input,I think I am going to make use of the extra space, as some of you advised, and make the cabinet go to the wall.I make f.f. cabinets,does anyone have a blind corner they would like to share.I will start designing one today,just would like to see some other examples.I am going to have the parts cut for me on Monday by one of our members.This will be my second kitchen I have had cut for me,and the first one worked out great.I still have quite a lot to learn, but it is a start.

Scot
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Here is an example. Might have to tweak it a little.
Attachments
Blind Corner Right.hsf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 590 times
Blind Corner Right.jpg
Blind Corner Right.jpg (17.15 KiB) Viewed 13306 times
Damon Nabors
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Scott,

I have been using the Blind Corner wire basket pullouts. they aren't perfect but they make pretty good usage of the corner.

Kerry
Attachments
blind.jpg
blind.jpg (174.46 KiB) Viewed 13084 times