DXF files again

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

DXF files again

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi all,
I am trying to create my first ever DXF file! So far so good thanks to all the advise everyone has given me. I am trying to do a 12mm centerline cut on a panel but im only using a 6mm cutter so the upshear doesnt chip the board out. Is there such a code that allows us to put in the width of the cut rather than the diameter of the cutter or do I have to put it in 2 passes in the cad program?
Thanks for any help.
Paul.
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Here is what i am trying to do. all cuts other than the outline need to be 12mm wide to take aluminum flat bar. I could use my 12mm cutter which is only 11.86 in diameter so it will be too tight and im really not in the mood for sanding aluminum if I dont have to.
Thanks,
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Here is what i am trying to do. all cuts other than the outline need to be 12mm wide to take aluminum flat bar. I could use my 12mm cutter which is only 11.86 in diameter so it will be too tight and im really not in the mood for sanding aluminum if I dont have to.
Thanks,
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hiya Paul
Here are a few pointers: The Polyline you have forming the center rectangle will have to be broken up into seperate line segments. You have the Centerline layer parameters the wrong way around should be Centerline d12p0 z5p0. You are going to have to specify exactly the cutter size you require to do the job in a centerline operation it will only do multiple passes if you use something like \"pocket\" or run two parallel lines as you suggested
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Nick,
Thanks very much for that, I will have another play tomorrow and see what happens. I was kinda hoping there might be a way you could specify the width of the cut by putting in the dado width but that would obviously make it far to easy for me.
Cant be too hard to do 2 lines so ill give that a try.
Something that would be really easy for me would be to get the guys on the floor to do it with a hand router HAHA. But that would definatly come back and bite me in the bum! Probably be a little unproductive too!
Thanks Nick,
Paul.
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Paul,
I would use the dado layer for these cuts. Create a rectangle for each of the segments and let the controller figure out the tool paths.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply,
how do i tell the dado the width of the cut?
Thanks,
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Dados are drawn as rectangles, the width of the rectangle is the width of the cut. The layer name determines its depth.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi David, thanks for all your help. I have just created some dado layers to make it work and for some reason none of it is showing in rolling nest.
Can anyone give me some pointers on where i am going wrong with this?
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Ya Paul
This is a very staggered conversation What with me being in the middle (geographically) of you and Thermwood! how many hours are there between us? You are not seeing your dados becase once again you have drawn a polyline. Unfortunately Rolling Nest wants each geometry made up of simple segments so you have to make up the rectangles out ouf seperate lines.
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Nick, yes it is a little staggered, the time here is 6:00pm tuesday evening. what is the time there? I am sure i put that in as a dado, the exact line I entered for that layer is dadoZ4P0 working in metric of course.
thanks for the reply
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Paul, you must be in bed by now, but anyhow the layer name is not the issue but rather the way you have drawn things, you need to break up each object and draw each rectangle out of 4 seperate lines
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Nick is right. After looking at your drawing, it's just not \"clean\" enough for RN to recognize the separate rectangles on the dado layer. Several of the rectangles are made up of 6 line segments. Some of them are chained together creating L shapes. If it's on a dado layer and it's not a rectangle, RN ignores it.

When a drawing has rectangles that overlap, I find it useful to \"hide\" or \"blank\" the one I'm not working on to insure I get 4 and only 4 intersecting lines in the rectangle I'm creating. Where the design permits, I will make the dados extend past each other, or end in the middle of another dado, so I (and RN) can clearly see which lines belong to which dados.

You're close, very close.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi David,
Thanks for the tip, I must be even closer now! I have all the lines looking clean but they still dont want to work. Are there more lines that I need to hide or move somewhere?
Thanks HEAPS!
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

Hi Paul. Give this file a try. I moved your lines a bit for radius purposes and used pocket in the layer name. This should get you going as well as help you understand how the pocket functionality can be used.
Attachments
DARRIN BACK PANEL_1.zip
(3.84 KiB) Downloaded 465 times