Over width back

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Over width back

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Anyone got a trick to nest over width parts?
Paul Huff

Re: Over width back

Post by Paul Huff »

I am not sure if this is your problem but you can get the back to nest the other direction by changing the grain direction. If this is not your problem them you might want to define a larger material for your back. Of course cutting such a piece could be a problem.
Attachments
Back Settings.jpg
Back Settings.jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 7829 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Rick,

If you are trying to create a back for a cabinet that is wider than your material say a 60" wide upper;
Decide where you want to split the back(usually behind a partition) then inset the back to position it to cover one half of the partition thickness. Next place a stretcher using the back material and proper construction parameters to create the other part of the back. Rename the stretcher to say back. Both parts should nest.

Kerry
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I do similar to Kerry, I did not think about using a stretcher. I save the cabinet twice with a left back inset on the right, and a right back with the inset on the left. I have two cabinets but I get my parts this way at the router. I just have to remember to filter out the other parts I don't need.

Kerry's way seems better though. Less Parts involved. It would be nice if there was a function to split the back when a partition is involved.
Damon Nabors
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Thanks guys, I think the stretcher idea will work for this one.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Kerry Fullington wrote:Rick,

If you are trying to create a back for a cabinet that is wider than your material say a 60" wide upper;
Decide where you want to split the back(usually behind a partition) then inset the back to position it to cover one half of the partition thickness. Next place a stretcher using the back material and proper construction parameters to create the other part of the back. Rename the stretcher to say back. Both parts should nest.

Kerry
That's a good idea to work around it if you can make the stretcher to get the proper construction parameters. It seems that if you want blind dado-ed or full dado-ed it will only add that construction to two sides(the two sides u selected to place stretcher between). No mater what I do and how hard I try go around that problem it always does it. I need routing on 3 sides and I can only get it on 2.

Any suggestions?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Georgi,

Take a look at the attached cabinet. I get construction all around.

Make sure you put a left inset on the back and place an up down stretcher on the left side. there seems to be a bug in the software if you place the stretcher on the right. the right side doesn't show construction.

Kerry
Attachments
split back.hsf
(332.02 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
back.jpg
back.jpg (28.28 KiB) Viewed 7696 times
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Kerry,

try making the same thing with a full dado. Start all over and instead of blind dado construction use full dado. If you try to change the existing stretcher you will succeed. Tell me if you can get it from the first time. I did everything the way you told me.

I tried with 1/2" full dado and it didn't work. I switched to 1/2" blind dado and it worked. Then I changed it back to 1/2" full dado (clicked on properties for the part and manipulated the part from there) It worked and I get the construction and machining the way I want it.

I don't really know why it acts like that. Try it so at least I know if it's me or the software. Thanks
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

This post is for future reference if someone encounters the same problem as I have.

If you decide to split the back and use a stretcher for the second half insert it with blind dado construction (or just leave it with the default construction - blind dado is default for me. I will try later full dado global construction), then adjust it and after all that in the part properties for that exact stretcher select the construction settings that you would prefer. this way you will get that construction on all sides of the stretcher rather than just the parts that you selected initially to place a stretcher in between.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Georgi,

I switched to full dado Globally and everything seems to work fine.
I do think there is a little bug in this when I try to add the stretcher to the right end. I am going to try to isolate that problem and report it.

Kerry