Where do we go from here?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

Cast my vote for drag and drop nest editing, also will this be implemented in Control Nesting as well as eCabinets.( remember eCabinets is only a representation of how Control Nesting will do the final nest).

Also can I get any support for implementing mounting holes in the back of the drawers and hings holes in bifold corner door? We have hing holes for doors in standard cabinets I wouldn't think it would be too hard to implement drawer holes for Metabox and Tandembox.
This message made from recycled electrons.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Like a old record can I remind Jason and the programmers that edging on the drawers details for the labels would be handy.
Also could all edges have not only the edge material and edge thickness but if white or a colour. This is important on all parts as well as drawers.
As different edging has different value shouldn't this cost be needed?
I wont mention the mdf door multiple passes profile and better costing info as that's been hammered to death. This to me is a fundamental necessity for version 6 and should not be stalled any longer.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

I'm sorry but I just don't understand all this complaints about the drawers and edges

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Shelf pin holes in backs.
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

Hey Gary, do you use metabox or tandembox? These drawer systems use a metal bracket that mounts in the back of the drawer front to attach to the metal drawer sides. Much the same as a door has a hinge on the door and that mounts to the hinge block. Could you imagine how ecabinets would work if it drilled the holes in the carcase for the hinge mounts but not the hinge holes in the doors? This is what happens with our drawers, we place holes in them manually and use the constraint manager to position them. When I have time I shall post some cabinets that I have major dramas in that when I adjust the constraint on a drawer front instead of moving the hole it moves the drawer front off the 0,0 position and stuffs up all my holes.
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member

Post by Gary Puckett »

Glen,

I use Tandum with bluemotion for my drawer slides, with 5/8 thick dovetail drawers ( that I cut myself ) and I position the drawer fronts by hand with the help of spacers. Can install 5 drawer fronts in about 10-15 minutes.

I don't have a Thermwood :(

Gary
HP Pavilion
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

Thanks Gary, That's the difference, we do all metal sides and do 12 - 15 kitchens a week. Having to always replace and reposition the holes behind the drawers is a very time consuming job that can be prevented by the addition of drawer bracket holes. We do a lot of top drawer shallow two deep below and when the height changes then the drawers change size. We prefer to have the top drawer to stay static at 154mm high ( this is also to help out edgebander that only takes parts 150mm wide, so with 2mm edging we cut a 150mm high drawer that can be edgebanded) so to get this we have to delete the drawers and then add them in again to get the right heights as eCabinets will add or subtract the difference in height proportionally over the three drawer fronts. When you delete the drawers and then put them back in you lose the drawer bracket holes and have to put them back in again, then constrain them etc etc.

We also use Metabox, Tandembox as per clients request and we have a Thermwood. The secret to mass production with the Thermwood is to get it to do all the required holes for assembly so the assembler only has to screw it together.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

The Drawer Box Editor could really use a Part Editor and Constraint Manager like the ones in the Cabinet Editor. It would also be nice if we could lock in the drawer heights and depths when we place them instead of using the minimum increments.

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member

Post by Gary Puckett »

Glen,

You guys are flying 12-15 kitchens a week man you must be hudge, what about 15-20 employees?
It's just me at my end. Designer,salesman, expiditor, assembler, delivery , and janitor all rolled up in one

Gary
HP Pavilion
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

We cut and edge and assemble, no installation, supply to other cabinet makers. We have lot of guys doing this sort of setup.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Gary,
You are right the edging may not be a issue with you if you don't employ people. For us lucky ones who employ people and have to put up with their mistakes it is mission critical to have the labels with as much information you can give on the part to be edged or assembled.
In my case I need the person edging a melamine box drawer know what parts are edged, what colour and edge thickness even if that detail never changes. If that person then pick up a cabinet side or shelf they know the side may have a antique white 1mm edge but the shelf may have a white 2mm edge for example. We also treat each edge differntly with a square edge or a arised edge
The people that we use in Australia are normally young as that's our lowest hourly cost. I notice in the States you have access to low cost mature labour but do have some common sense.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Neville Bastian wrote:Hi Gary,
I notice in the States you have access to low cost mature labour but do have some common sense.

Regards

Neville
Neville, I want to know what rock you turned over to find these people while you where here.
Damon Nabors
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Well, how about being able to write the CNC file on the computer you program on together with all the labels and reports that you might need for a certain job and hand it over to your CNC operator. All that he would need to know is how many sheets of what size and type he would need, fire the CNC and cut everything. In high production company I can see project managers working on many projects, preparing all the information an operator might need (the whole production information in a folder) and when the time comes to release the job for production everything will be ready. An operator is really a person that is responsible mostly for the machine and not so much the project itself.

It's an idea. I just want to see what the other people in this forum think about it.
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member

George, I have worked with a cnc and software package that does exactly what you describe ( I won't mention any names) What I have found is that there really is a very distinct advantage to Thermwoods method of control nesting on the machine. Tooling, sheet problems and differences, damaged stock can all be handled by a properly trained operator which then greatly minimises the time your highly skilled ( read highly paid) detailer spends fixing problems.

I seem to remember a flyer that Thermwood has describing the differences between 1st and 2nd generation cnc nesting which details the advantages better than I could. As a user that has experiance with both systems Thermwoods is by far a standout performer in the production arena.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Rick Palechuk wrote:Shelf pin holes in backs.
I'll 2nd that one Rick.

Another thing I asked about a long time ago was being able to make shoe cubbies so all your uprights are 1 piece and all your horizontals are one piece. They each have a full dado 1/2 the depth +bit radius and add maybe .030" to the thickness of the material so they slide together nice. This type of storage system can be used in many areas but especially in closets where Ecabinets is still weak, IMHO, compared to the Competitors. Doing it with shelves and partitions is just plain primitive. I think there is some sort of work around but it should be part of the system so when you change material or number of cubby holes you do not have to re engineer it manually.

So when does beta testing Start????? :D

Thanks
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1