Back up issue

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Francis Samson
Company Name: AVBN

Back up issue

Post by Francis Samson »

Hi guys! Got a little problem with the back up!
Just installed the soft at the new company i'm working and did a back up with all the materials, cabinets and job that i have.
All ok up to when i try to open a file, an error message pops up saying that it can't find the material???
From what i've seen in the DIR, everything is there! :shock:

Need info with this Pls

francis
Justin Melhiser

Re: Back up issue

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Francis
Make sure that everything is exactly the same with the material name. If you take a cabinet from old computer and load it on the new it will say material not found would you like to add new material. Click add new material and it will add it to the database. What file did you back up to get your materials? Once you copied this file from your old computer to the new, in the ecabinet systems directory, did you save over the old file?
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Samson,
After backing up the files on computer #1, the destination of the ecabs backup file is is defaulted to the C:\ directory. You will need to copy this file and paste it in the exact same directory on computer #2. Then open up ecabs and goto File>restore my files. The information on computer #2 should be updated. HTH
Francis Samson

Post by Francis Samson »

Still stuck! Got the "Conversion error" for the material!?!?!
I copied every thing in the DIR of the soft and made a sucessful back-up, but, can't get it to work! :fire:
I had the same problem at the other place when i installed it but can't remember what i did to make it work :roll: :lol:
Maybe justin as a better memory then me?

Tks for the help guys
Francis
Justin Melhiser

Francis
What all did you copy? Was it the entire ecabinet systems directory? You should not do this if you did. If you just need the material from one computer to the next, copy only the cabinets.mdb file. Then save this file on the new computer in the same directory as the one you took it from. I have never seen a "conversion error" when doing this. Do you have any screen shots of this message? If you do please post or email them to me.
Francis Samson

Post by Francis Samson »

I'll get you some snap shop but the OS is in FRENCH!!! :wall: And no, i didn't copy the hole files, just made a new folder in the C: for the back up and copied my original B-Up in it, resetted the settings for the specific files on the C:/document/ecab B-U and that's it.
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Francis Samson wrote:I'll get you some snap shop but the OS is in FRENCH!!! :wall: And no, i didn't copy the hole files, just made a new folder in the C: for the back up and copied my original B-Up in it, resetted the settings for the specific files on the C:/document/ecab B-U and that's it.
Have you ever used the backup/restore feature in ecabs? If not here are the steps.

Open ecabs
goto file>backup/restore settings (make sure your backup diecrtory is set to (c:\eCabinetSystems_Backup))
If you want to back up everything, make sure everything is seleted.
You're default user created file locations should be correct unless you have moved thing around.
Select ok
Goto file>backup my files (this will initialize your file back up)
After the backup is complete, goto your C:\. You should see a file named "eCabinetSystems_Backup"
Copy and paste this file onto your new computer. Make sure you paste it into the C drive or C:\ directory
Next open ecabs and goto file>restore my files. After the restore is complete all of your file should be fine.

HTH
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Actually, C:\eCabinetSystems_Backup will be a directory that contains other directories and files, not a single file]. It should look like this screen shot:
Backup Directory.jpg
Backup Directory.jpg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 10286 times
Make sure BOTH computers have the backup location set to C:\eCabinetSystems_Backup.

If you want to post the message in French, that's okay...I think I can read it.
Francis Samson

Post by Francis Samson »

Hi Dan, still don't understand. Not the first time i do B-UP and normally works fine but now!
The file for the back up is in place with all the necessary components (materials etc etc) and even after doing all this, nothing can be open?

Picture

Kind of lost. maybe i'll have to reinstall all my material by hand in the" setting /preference, define stock material"!!!?

Keep on going :)

Francis
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Look closely at the dialog box (not the error message) and you will see that the width is 0". Click the "Add New material" button and see what happens.

It looks like you did not copy ecabinets.mdb to the new computer. That is what causes the "Material Not Found" dialog to display.

The error message simply says "error in datatype conversion" and is caused by the 0" width.
Justin Melhiser

Francis
Like Dan said your ceabinets.mdb file must be saved under the c:\programfiles\thermwood\ecabinetsystems directory. Once you save it here then you should be able to open your other files and not have to add new material.
Francis Samson

Post by Francis Samson »

You totally lost me! :P
WHen we add the board material, the width is not specified, only the thickness and the lenght are available.
I tried another cabinet and now it's this:

As you can see, every thing is there but still can't load or add the materials :wall:

Can it be because the OS is in french!??
Justin Melhiser

Francis
It is not because your OS is in French that shouldnt matter. Did you check and make sure you copied the ecabinets.mdb file to the correct directory?
Justin Melhiser

Francis
Please send me an email with or give me a call. I tried to call you but couldn't get through. I can try to walk you through this over the phone.