Help- Problem with CS45

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Gary Urlacher

Help- Problem with CS45

Post by Gary Urlacher »

I have a major problem with my router that has shut me down.
This is a problem that has come up in the past on a small scale but tonight it is very bad.

There seems to be a problem with the encoders loosing track of machine locaton.
I am not 100% sure but I think it is just the X axis.

I changed some tools and when I go to measure them, the machine starts its thing and in moving to make
a tool change to the tool it needs to measure, it slams into the back stops on the x axis and locks up reporting
an IR error with the servos.

I shut down the machine, power it off and back on and re home the machine. It has done this a couple of times in the
past but tonight, it was every time.

It has never done this during a normal tool change, it has only done it during a tool change when measuring a tool set.
I aborted the tool set measurment and ran a program and upon this normal tool change it did the same thing slaming
into the back stop on the x axis exceeding the tool location etc.

I again powered down and back up and ran the program again, At this point it was drilling some 5mm holes
then out of the blue, stopped and reported the same error. Again, powered down and back up and ran it again and
it started to move and then stopped again.

I am at a loss. I emailed my supplier in Canada and I am sure they will call me tomorrow but I thought
it might be best to post this as well incase someone has had this happen.

Thanks in advance for any help as this has shut down my operation.

Gary Urlacher
Gary Urlacher

Re: Help- Problem with CS45

Post by Gary Urlacher »

UPDATE on Problem.

Last night I got a call from Andrew from CNC automation. It would have been about 1:00am his time.
He stuck with me trying to solve this problem. This goes to show everyone about the service that this company offers.

First I want to thank Andrew for going above an beyond what enyone could ask for as far as service. These people are
simply the best.

Anyway, we did a series of tests and seem to narrow it down to an acceloration issue. After a series of tests to eliminate
encoder related problems, we wrote a loop file that would move the machine x axis to a -6.3 location (the location of the tool
holders) and in G1 mode, it worked every time. Writing the same file but in G0 mode, It slammed the back each time.

He feels that the acceleration in G00 might be set too high although he said the numbers in the files I sent him
seemed correct. He modified the files and I will re install them soon and try them out. I have a feeling that this will work.

He said that he has never seen this problem before so I thought I would keep this post updated incase someone else has had this
happen or can shed some light on this.

Gary
Gary Urlacher

Post by Gary Urlacher »

Problem solved.

It turns out that the acceleration for that axis was a bit high and it would over shoot its mark on a short distance
such as the tool change.

Andrew from CNC automation figued this out very late last night and sent me a replacment file and the machine
seems to work better than ever.

I can't say enough about how wonderful the service is with CNC Automation. This is why we buy Thermwood machines.

I owe him big time for this.

Gary
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

NOT A BETTER COMPANY OUT THERE!!
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Steve Detina
Company Name: Silhouette Custom Cabinets

Post by Steve Detina »

Gary;

Glad to hear that you are up and running again. I bought my machine from the boys and CNC Automation and I cannot say enough about the outstanding service from Andrew, Bob, Brad and all the others at CNC. I too have had issues after hours and they have bent over backwards to get us up and running again. They are the best.

Steve