Joining to Assemblies

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Lafras Uys

Joining to Assemblies

Post by Lafras Uys »

Hi All

I want to build a cabinet out of 4 face frames as per customer requested, I did this as an assembly,I can but the blind dado's on each face frame, but now how do I join each assembly to the next?
Face frames
Face frames
Face frames.jpg (35.89 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
Any ideas?
Todd Miller

Re: Joining to Assemblies

Post by Todd Miller »

Lafras,
At this time Ecabs does not allow you to use any construction methods to connect two cabinets together. Although you can create your own. Depending on your time frame, I think a full dado would be the quickest. Look at the picture below.

Steps:
First, I took the Left stile of the FF into the Part Editor.
Then, Flipped the part to C-Back View. (Now I am Looking at the back side of the material)
Next go into the contour mode, rightclick>create edges. (this will create blue lines around the part)
Next, use the offset button and set the increment to .75. left click the right vertical line, then left click on the left side of the part (you should now have 3 vertical lines on the part.
Then, trim the top and bottom lines to the new line you just offset. Creating a 3/4" wide rectangle from the top to the bottom of the part.
Then go back into the part editor, right click>cut pocket using closed contour and select the new rectangle. (If everything has been done correct, the rectangle should highlight green.
After that, select the "next" button at the bottom of the screen.
Then enter a value of .375 into the "specify cutting depth" field and hit ok.
select the return key at the bottom of the screen and save changes.
Now you should be able to align the two FF assemblies as shown in the picture below.
Attachments
FF.JPG
FF.JPG (17.92 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
Lafras Uys

Re: Joining to Assemblies

Post by Lafras Uys »

Todd

Thank you, I tried it and it works. :D