centerline cut direction

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Dave Burtchell

centerline cut direction

Post by Dave Burtchell »

Hi,

We want to control the direction of cut for centerline cuts. The waste part usually has a better edge than the good part. I looked at the manual and I am thinking that "chaincompin/out" would allow control of direction (climb / conv). Is this the only method?

Dave
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: centerline cut direction

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Dave,

The following information will help execute the type of cut your wanting to acheive when using the Centerline layer:

start - Enables operator/programmer to specify a start point for chain type geometry that has been created within a DXF file (ie: entities saved on level/layer named: chaincompin/out, centerline or outline). To specify starting point for a particular design, you must take the one entity you wish to start on and save it to a level/layer of it’s own. That level/layer name will then need to be same as chain type geometry that remaining entities reside on, but must also contain the character set "start" at the end (ie: outline z#p# start ).

Just let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.
Dave Burtchell

Post by Dave Burtchell »

Ryan,

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure how designating a start point will force the machine to cut in a certain direction. I want the machine to make a conv. cut on the inside of a rectangular hole, not on the outside of the cut out piece. Am I missing something?

Dave
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Dave,

By choosing the start point on a given chain of entities, this will determine direction of cut, therefore creating a climb or conv. cut on the desired edge. I've attached two simple dxf files for you to compare posted coordinates of to help you better understand. The dxf files contain a simple square outline, then have two adjoining lines near middle of square. You'll notice that one file has the left line on the centerline start layer and visa versa. Check them out and let me know if you have further questions.
Attachments
start layer name test.zip
Use these two files to compare posted coordinates and how the Start layer works.
(8.72 KiB) Downloaded 312 times