Anyone out there with rotary playback on thier machine

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Anyone out there with rotary playback on thier machine

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Hi guys,

is there anyone of the frequent users of this forum with a rotary playback as an add-on to their machine. We just got ours and although I already machine some parts on it I was hoping to get more ideas and examples of what's possible.
Ray Jorgensen
Company Name: Classic Custom Wood

Re: Anyone out there with rotary playback on thier machine

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

I've got one and although I don't use it that much, It's pretty cool. What type of info are you looking for?
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Some examples/ photos of legs you've done. I got some information back from our support guys tough. Now I have to just test all that myself.

Pictures would be greatly appreciated if you have any.

I don't want to go in trouble with thermwood. I know that it's not really allowed to mentioned third party software but still the guys know that one is needed in order to use the playback. What software are you using to program on the playback. Version and name?

We have the MC X2 router pro.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Georgi,

MCX2 and ArtCam are both software packages that have been proven to work with the Rotary Playback device that Thermwood offers. You would need to contact your MasterCam Dealer to get the correct post processor for posting NC code from either of these packages.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Ryan,

we have the post processor for the MC X2 for C axis and for B axis machining. My post was mainly to exchange experience with someone who would have more than I do. We only got it recently and I did some legs and worked great. Apart from the problem we had with your new controls in the CS45. Your Canadian partners did a good job in finding the problem and solving it.

Pictures of machined legs and the software configuration is pretty much all I need to know.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

I see, this would certainly be the place to get ideas from other users :D Just wanted to make sure you had the supplied info. regarding software to use.
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

here goes. I got some picutres tonight. If I can get em posted here we're in buisness.
round-egg-&-dart.jpg
round-egg-&-dart.jpg (125.18 KiB) Viewed 10143 times
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

I can't figure out how to do more than one at a time so here are some more.
jim-cab.jpg
jim-cab.jpg (178.64 KiB) Viewed 10139 times
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Sorry for the dust in the last one, should have gotten the rag out. Waiting for glass doors.

If I'm lucky this one is the column only.
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Ok no picture. Let's try this one.
finial-egg-&dart-round-quar.jpg
finial-egg-&dart-round-quar.jpg (106.67 KiB) Viewed 10133 times
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Last one.
thermwood-cambrial-leg.jpg
thermwood-cambrial-leg.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 10127 times
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Ray,

Your pictures are great. I am assuming that you machined all of those on your Rotary Playback Unit (RPU). Did you program then yourself using Mastercam, ArtCAM or another product? Or were they products of pre-made programs rented through Thermwood's system?

We here at CNC Automation have supplied Georgi's company with a post processor for Mastercam that allows then to program parts that have "turned" elements and fluting, as well as any type of 3 axis machining in a positional mode. We have a couple of other companies that also use ArtCAM, including one that has an 8 spindle Model 80 rotary carver. We have run into reluctance on the part of some of our customers in distributing pictures of their work with other companies - possibly due to possible questions of competitive markets.

I would like to thank you for sharing your results here.

( Note to all: Both the Mastercam and ArtCAM post processors for the RPU are available through Thermwood Corporation. :D )
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Thanks for the kind works.

The leg and pinnaple looking thing are from the rental program - the others are my own designs. All are cut on my 45 with the playback. I've cut some other rotory things from the rental program but don't have pictures.

When I built my little homemade machine a few years ago I started with a free gameing program and a script the a fella in Scotland figured out for extracting the code. I have half an idea what I'm doing with it so I've just stuck with it. I'm no professional programer by a long way.

I have also used Thermwoods custom programing service, which greatly reduces stress!!

The egg and dart profile has proved popular - the TV stand is the 3rd project I have used it on. That's nice cause it starts to make all the time spent producing it worthwhile.

Ray
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I'm curious as to how the cost of producing a part on the rotary unit compares to purchasing a ready-made part, for example, the cabriole leg you pictured.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Dan,

I can't speak for the RPU, but as for the regular non RPU stuff, you can spend a day on some of those carvings. If you were to charge by the hour, you would have a hard time collecting. I look at it like this, I have the router and there are times when the machine is just idle, so start carving and go do something else while it make shavings. You could probable only charge $10/$20 per hr for carvings, simply because of the time factor vs what the market will bring. If you can make it personalized with names and such, then you can charge a little more. It is great to have the flexability of being able to make your own carvings. The time factor in programming also cuts the profit margins way down also.
Damon Nabors