cutting geometric shapes in part editor

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

ScotAcree
Company Name: Scot Acree Woodworkig LLC

cutting geometric shapes in part editor

Post by ScotAcree »

I would like to get to know and use the part editor.I have a client that wants a gate made like the picture posted.So far I have made a display board (.25 thick by 7"w by 24"l) like each individual slat in the gate and have taken it to the part editor.My grid setting is set to grid .5,snap .5,size 48.I have cut some shapes out of it practicing,but would like to know if someone could give me some further direction. Also,should I make up the same size grid out of paper to place under the slat of the gate to get better measurements.I know I could trace this slat out on a board and start cutting,but thought this would be a good way to start using the part editor.May even have these cut out on a machine when I get threw this.
Scot
Attachments
112.jpg
112.jpg (38.33 KiB) Viewed 9318 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: cutting geometric shapes in part editor

Post by DanEpps »

You're on the right track Scot. After you create the geometry for the first part, save it and you can use it to create as many as you need in your display assembly.

If you want exact measurements, then using a full-size grid and tracing the pattern on it is one way to go. I would probably just rough sketch the pattern then add measurements (location, width, height, radii) for each section. I find it generally easier to divide the pattern in half and measure only one side when making a symmetric pattern like this.
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Scott,
I would suggest watching the video tutrotial we have on the Part editor. I recommend downloading it to your desktop before viewing. Here is a link.

http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecab_new ... orials.htm

You can also find this list of video tutorials we offer, in the software. After opening the software, go to the "help" pulldown menu, then click on "eCabinets System Tutorials".
ScotAcree

Post by ScotAcree »

When I get 1/4 of the slat done is there a way to mirror image to the top and side?I guess I better start watching the tutorials.
Scot
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Scot,
Yes, you can mirror around the x axis, the y axis, or any line that you have created. You will need to select the geometry you would like to mirror, then select the mirror function. You will then be asked how you want to mirrior the geometry. Then as stated above you would choose the x axis, the y axis, or any line that you have created. If you still need help, let us know.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Is this what you are looking for?
Attachments
GATE PART.jpg
GATE PART.jpg (16.27 KiB) Viewed 9245 times
Damon Nabors
ScotAcree

Post by ScotAcree »

I thought you would be posting Damon,you have been busy this morning.

1.)Did you make that in the part editor using the geometric shapes.?Or in Contour Mode using line,3 point arc,and clipping corners?Or combination of both?

2.)Did you cut out all of this in the Contour Mode and right click and select "create part using closed contour"?

I was able to free hand draw it last night in ecabs using line and 3 pnt. arc in Contour Mode with no exact measurements.I started with the display bourd on the 0,0 X and Y.Made a 1/4 of the design on the board, then made a vertical line in the center of it and used "mirror image" to the right side.Maybe I do not need the vertical line to do this?Then somehow copied the bottom half and copied it to the top and rotated it.Can not remember how I did that last night, it was getting late.As you can tell,I have no CAD experience, if this is anything like using CAD.Am I going in the right direction here?

This morning I have traced one of the slats on 1/4" graph paper and to get some closer X and Y points and am starting over.If anyone would like to answer some of these questions,feel free to chime in.

Scot
ScotAcree

Post by ScotAcree »

Well,here is where I am at.I am stuck trying to close the contour.I have extended all lines and clipped,then put a .125"champ fer on everything.I know I have done something wrong because I have been able to cut a few of the shapes.

Anyone like to take this to the part editor and give it a look?I will go back to spraying in the booth without my respirator,least I will know why I am getting a headbanger!

Scot
Attachments
PE slat 5.jpg
PE slat 5.jpg (6.29 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
PE slat 5.esa
(336.02 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Scot,
You have a lot of duplicate entities. Which is geometry on top of the same geometry. Most of them being on the radii that you have created. I just went in and deleted what you didn't need. I have attached a revised file, but I recommend going back and trying to clean it up yourself. Just so you know what to look for next time.
Attachments
PE slat 5 rev.esa
(228.02 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Several things Scot...look at attached image.

First, use a circle to make the circular sections. Notice the crooked line where the two sections join and the extra line at the top of the circular opening (see image Scot 1).

The best thing is to create one side and make sure all intersections are connected by clicking on the arrow icon and selecting "chain" (see image Scot 2). Then you can click a segment and see where the unjoined intersections are. Extend and trim these intersections.

Once you can select the entire geometry with "chain select" you can create the part.

I would make one half of the pattern (see image Scot 3) then mirror it for the other side, making sure to add the top and bottom lines then extend/trim the intersections at each corner.

After that is complete, add the center cutouts and create the part. Take it back into Contour Mode, right-click and select "Create Edges" then save the geometry for use later.
scot 1.jpg
scot 1.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 9147 times
scot 2.jpg
scot 2.jpg (51.52 KiB) Viewed 9147 times
scot 3.jpg
scot 3.jpg (20.61 KiB) Viewed 9150 times
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I drew it up in a artcam and then saved it as a dxf file and tried to open it up in ecab. I couldn't get it to open in the parts editor. I ended up saving it as a stl file and then bring the stl file into ecab and convert to a display object.
Damon Nabors
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Scot,
BTW, in the file that I attached, I did change the large (not smooth) arcs to a slightly larger radius. They do not match the original part file you had attached. FYI
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Damon Nabors wrote:I drew it up in a artcam and then saved it as a dxf file and tried to open it up in ecab. I couldn't get it to open in the parts editor. I ended up saving it as a stl file and then bring the stl file into ecab and convert to a display object.
Splines for the curves?
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

That's probably it, I forget about splines having problems.
Damon Nabors
ScotAcree

Post by ScotAcree »

Thanks for the extra help guys.I took one of the previous display boards I saved and used the advice you all gave me until I got it right.I made most of the contour with 3 pnt. archs,except the main 2 circles in the middle.I think the main circle was wavy because I extended some segments too much.I did start doing things your way Dan and the illustrations were a big help.Still do not understand all of the functions,but it is a start.I would only use the part editor if I needed to make some arches on the valance of kitchens.
Thanks Again,
Scot
Attachments
ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 03 23.31.gif
ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 03 23.31.gif (140.13 KiB) Viewed 9084 times