Bar Style Tool Holders and 4.5" diameter tools

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Chris Robinson

Bar Style Tool Holders and 4.5" diameter tools

Post by Chris Robinson »

Hey Everyone,

I want to use one of my bar style tool holders (side entry) to station a tool with a larger diameter, like an insert panel raising cutter. The tool OD is 4.409 (112mm) and will hit the vertical bar of the tool holder.

I know there has to be some of you using larger diameter tools. Anyone place a spacer between the plastic insert and the vertical bar to move it's centerline out so that the tool clears? I know there would have to be an x,y coord change within the tool change macro but doesn't seem like this would be too difficult.

Plus, I have a 3.125 diameter fly cutter that barely touches the vertical bar unless I rotate it in spindle slightly before inserting into the holder. It would be nice to not have to worry about it anymore.

Thanks,

Chris Robinson
General Manager
Unique Building Supplies
320 Perry Lane Rd
Brunswick, GA 31525
912-280-0721
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Bar Style Tool Holders and 4.5" diameter tools

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Chris,

Your best option with this particular situation is to contact Thermwood's Retrofit/Upgrade Dept. and discuss this situation with them. First off, there would have to be some software changes to the PLC and also pickup location of modified tool holder. Then, there are also some other things that would need to be reviewed prior to peforming a retro of this type, things such as the tooling manufacturers recommended RPM rating and your current router motor type, the weight of tool etc....

Thermwood Retrofit/Upgrade Contact Info:
Email: retrofits@thermwood.com
Phone: 1-800-221-3865 (Ext. 251)
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Chris Robinson »

Ryan,

Email sent, attn: Ryan

Chris
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Thanks Chris! I will make sure to check with our retro dept. and see if they recieved your email.

I had looked more into this situation this morning with engineering, and it is likely a vertical tool holder would need to be created for the 4.5" dia. tool, due to the fact the dust sheild would get caught on holder when trying to put away or get tool in side load holder. As far as the 3.125" dia. flycutter, this would likely just need some sort of changes in PLC to accomodate larger dia. from standard 2.5" dimension.

This information is all general and would have to be verified by our retro dept. here.
Chris Robinson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Chris Robinson »

Ryan, thanks for the follow up. I'll wait to see what you guys come up with.

Chris