One Part, More than one Edgebanding, Slab Doors too

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

One Part, More than one Edgebanding, Slab Doors too

Post by David Hall »

For commercial work, we frequently edgeband the bottom edge of wall cabinets ends with one color and the front edge with a different color that matches the doors.

The current implemenation of edgebanding on labels prints only one of the EB names.

Can we get all the EB names listed? Please.

Even "EB: name 1, name 2" would be a big help. We can figure out which one goes where, and in which order they should be applied.

But if you're feeling industrious a solid line on the picture for EB 1 and a dashed line for EB 2 would be cool. We've never had more than 2 different Edgebandings per part. I think we've had as many as 4 different edgebandings per job.

Also, Slab doors with edgebanding are listed on the labels with "EB: None", and no picture.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Re: One Part, More than one Edgebanding, Slab Doors too

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

You read my mind David. We're just dealing with a job like that (several actually) that would greatly benefit from being able to display more than one type of edgebanding. I like the idea of a dashed line to differentiate. Count me in on this one.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

I would also put my hand up for different edge colours. On commercial work this is fairly common. Could not the edges have different printed colours if using a colour printer. It may not be the exact colour but it meets the new thinking of Ken where you shouldn't need to read the colour but visually see it. This would be handy for shops who employ people who can't read. Most of my staff cant read, I put on the plans glass window and out comes a standard door. Now I resort to yellow highlighting pen.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

We'll plan for implementing a solution for this delimma. Thank you for the input.
Zach Froble

Post by Zach Froble »

I am cutting a job right now with slab doors and the labels have no picture.

I would also like to see different EB materials on the same label.

Zach
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Hi Larry,
I need to add one more... Face frame parts with edgebanding currently get the same silent treatment from label printing as slab doors.

i.e. no picture and "EB: none"

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

Ok. We'll get that fixed as well. Just a note. The Slab Door and Face Frame information will need to be addressed in eCabinet Systems. Having the multiple names listed can be done in a Control Nesting update. Thanks again for the input!
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Larry,
The Ecabinet programmers seem to be focusing on bigger and better top secret projects within Ecabinets. Bribes to supply pizzas will not loosen those lips on what version 6 has to offer. The edging issue may take awhile to happen due to priorities, As a interim solution could we not be able to manually change edging at the controller. In my case where some of my parts are white edged and some are the same colour as the door I could select all the parts with a check box and change the edging wording to door colour on those parts. I can't remember how drawer parts are handled but if I could add edges with the colour required that would be handy. At the moment ecabinets won't allow you to assign edging information to drawer parts.
With the right interface I could get the result of what I wanted within a few minutes.
I know a few are asking for colour highlight on their labels to show different colours. I use a Zebra label printer which only prints black. Could this be discussed with the programmers as I would guess many others would use a monochrome printer. Maybe different types on lines could be used. Single thick black line for white for example. Dash space dash for colour 1, dash dot dash for colour 2 etc. These could be still be printed in different colours but with added bonus that all users benefit.

Thanks
Nev
Neville Australia