eCabinet Systems V6

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

eCabinet Systems V6

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Members,

I want to take this moment and share with all of the eCabinet members what is in store for V6. There are some items not listed below but are needed for future development. This update will be available in Spring 2009. Of course, before we release this update, we will have a period of time for beta testing. Who is on the beta list will be determined at a later date. I look forward to this release as I hope you are as well.

- Downloadable install
- Vista support
- Drawer box parts in Part Editor
- New select items screen for placing items easily
- Ability to save cabinets and assemblies at any
- Improved cabinet regeneration performance
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Nemanja Vujkovic

Re: eCabinet Systems V6

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

This all sound great, i cannot wait.
One quastion. When you say downloadable install, does that mean we can download it directly from internet, or we have to have earlier version installed on the computer?
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Nemanja,

Members will be able to download the software (full version and updates) from the internet instead of waiting for a cd. A install cd should never be needed unless requested which will require a small fee and shipping.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Thanks Jason. I went back and found my "wish list" for Version 6 dated June 2007.

Here it is:

• Part Editor in the Drawer Box editor. Make sure it includes the Constraint Manager.
• Constraint Manager for the Part Editor in the Room Editing area. I noticed when I wanted to change the material for a countertop with a cut out that I would lose my part editing to do that.
• Custom Molding editor. It sure would be nice to setup whatever profile we like.
• Custom Door editor. It would be nice to be able to design doors any way we like, for instance big doors with mid-rails or muntins on paneled doors. And it would also be nice to be able to select and show panels of a different material than the rails and stiles.
• Line boring (for old time’s sake)
• LDE Title block generator with information such as company name, address, contractor’s license number and such entered in a database.
• View port setup such that if you update the object you are displaying in the line drawing editor, such as a room or just a cabinet, the “view” of that object would correspondingly be updated. That way if we change a cabinet the line drawing of it would match it. It also seems to add a bunch of data to a file in the current setup if we have line drawings.
• Arrow sizes that are fixed.
• LDE data stored in a separate file. By this I mean, if the project name is “kitchenCabs.esj”, the LDE file would be something like “kitchenCabs.lde” and this would only be opened and loaded into memory when the LDE is active. The LDE file name would be based on the project name.
• A sheet material transparency selection. It would be nice to be able to easily add glass shelves and unframed glass doors.
• A menu selection in the Presentation Manager to show/hide the lights. It would also be nice to be able to adjust the light intensities before the image renders.
• Access to the hardware database so that we can add items and update existing items for prices and such.
• Auto-dimensioning for the LDE.
• Selection mode for editing the Custom Layout as either funky colors or a rendered view.

That's my short list...

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

How about being able to get a dim. from a line instead of having to go to a node in L.D.E. Oh also being able to dim. a radius.

Thanks

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Yippee Jason,
Congratulations on Thermwoods 40th. When's the party and am I invited?
Great to get the hit list on version 6. If your looking for extra Beta users could I add my name?

Could you say what you have done with the hardware database on version 6. Can we change prices and add local vendors with their part numbers?
Thanks for looking at the drawers. Excellent. Hopefully you can add edging details to drawers?

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Gary Puckett wrote:How about being able to get a dim. from a line instead of having to go to a node in L.D.E. Oh also being able to dim. a radius...
You have to have two nodes (a beginning and an end) to have a line Gary. Since parts are 3 dimensional, it could be difficult to determine where you wanted to pull the dimension from when selecting between nodes on a line. I do know that auto-dimensioning has been requested many times in the past and I think it was slated to be included sometime in the future.

As a work-around, you can find the radius of a curve in the Part Editor until this is included in the LDE. Just take the part into Contour Mode, Create Edges and select the curve you need the radius for. You can then enter the radius in the LDE as a Note. Not the best solution but it works until the LDE has that capability. :wink:
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member

Post by Gary Puckett »

Dan What about when you are in 2D mode in the line drawing editor, would it then be possible to just pick the line for a dim.?

Gary
HP Pavilion
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Gary Puckett wrote:Dan What about when you are in 2D mode in the line drawing editor, would it then be possible to just pick the line for a dim.?

Gary
It does not matter that you are in 2D or 3D mode, the object is still 3D.

Think of it like this Gary: Lines do not exist, in the LDE, or anywhere else (in the entire universe). All you have are starting and ending points, or nodes. For a curve you have numerous starting and ending points.

Thats all there is to it--"Lines" are only graphic representations so that our human brains can visualize and understand the relationship between the starting and ending points.

In the data file (any 3D object data file, not just eCabinets), "lines" consist of the coordinates that represent the starting and ending points (or nodes).
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I think what Gary is trying to get across Dan is having the ability to click anywhere on the line and have your dimension line start from that point instead of an end point where a node would be located. Like in cad programs. Gary, yes-no?
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member

Post by Gary Puckett »

Rick,

You are correct sir :beer:

Gary
HP Pavilion
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gary,

Sometimes easier isn't better. The beauty of the LDE is the nodes. You can pull a dimension from one node to any other node. This way you can get any dimension that you need including angular dimensions.
The LDE could probably use some improvements but it really is a great tool once you get a system to use it.
Email me at kerry@kerryfullinigton.com if you would like some tips on using the LDE.

Kerry
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Everyone,

I think what Jason was trying to get across is that the features listed are what's coming. We could add more features as requested, but that would extend the release; perhaps indefinitely as more and more requests get tacked on. No doubt the development team is at the point where they've locked the features for V6 and are soon to begin limited beta testing in preparation for the release.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Rick Palechuk wrote:I think what Gary is trying to get across Dan is having the ability to click anywhere on the line and have your dimension line start from that point instead of an end point where a node would be located. Like in cad programs. Gary, yes-no?
So, do you mean the "tag line" from the part to the displayed dimension and not actually getting a dimension by clicking anywhere on a part?

If so, I completely misunderstood... :oops:
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member

Post by Gary Puckett »

Yes Dan,

What I was wanting is to be able to click on one line (any where on that line ) and then click on another line and get that dim. Instead of having to find the nodes. I guess I didn't make myself clear on what I wanted sorry. Don't mean to compare but if you are familiar with Delta Cad ( The Worlds Easiest Cad System ) they dim that way .

Gary
HP Pavilion
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT