LDE to DXF?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Iain Hall

LDE to DXF?

Post by Iain Hall »

Can LDE export or save a file as a DXF or DWG file?

Iain
Iain Hall
Woodwright Cabinets
Todd Miller

Re: LDE to DXF?

Post by Todd Miller »

Iain,
No, at this time Ecabinets cannot.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I doubt that that will ever become a capability of the software. If eCabinet Systems were to provide DXF capability, then it would no longer be exclusive to use on a Thermwood CNC. The DXF file could be interpreted and programmed for use an any CNC. Obviously, not a plus for Thermwood when the software is "free" and main source of revenue is from the CNC.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Would that in all honesty be a real threat? The only way to get meaningful CAD/CAM info from the LDE would be to display an individual case part and that would have to be correctly scaled. To get info for a complete job would a monumental pain in the rear and would really not be worth the trouble. Most of the LDE displays people want in DXF format are for Plan and elevation views and those are really no good for CAM
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I would think that in order for it to be a true dxf file then it would be at full scale. The data is there as evidenced by the ability to dimension in the LDE. Also, the current LDE does allow you to do more than just plan and elevation views. Since the cabinet(s) can be brought into the LDE individually, as well as the parts of the cabinet, all the information is there if it were to be exported as a .dxf file. Granted it would be cumbersome if the only capability was to extract one piece at a time, but to some the effort would be worth it.

LDE improvements are on the "proverbial" list and I believe that it ranks fairly high, so possiby you should submit your request through "Feedback". I'd also suggest that you submit why you want it to export to the dxf format, then possibly your reason for the dxf would be replaced by capabilities within the LDE.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

It would be a lot faster and less troublesome to just redraw the component in a CAD package like AutoCAD than to try and untangle the info coming out of the LDE and make usable code to run on another CNC
Ken Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Ken Susnjara »

Actually we are investigating the possibility of of outputting cabinet level DXFs. If the DXF were dimensionally accurate but only displayed cabinets rather than individual components, we may be able to satisfy everyone. You would have DXF files that could be used for darwings and presentations yet there would not be enough individual part data to machine the individual parts, maintaning the restriction of using only a Thermwood CNC router to machine parts from eCabinet Systems and protecting the income stream that pays for the software.
Ken Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Ken Susnjara »

While we are on this subject, we have been having some discussions here about the requirements for DXF files and there are several differing opinions. Perhaps some of you could address the uses for these files and the features that might be required. Several years ago I had some discussions with cabinet shops that did commercial work and they needed these files to submit to the architects. I was told they couldn't bid without these files. Exactly what is needed? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hi Ken,
I do a mix of residential and commercial work. I am not sure why some one would not be able to bid commercial work without dxf files. The commercial jobs out there for bid are usually available in dxf,pdf's or you can order prints from a print house.I do know a few commercial guys who take the architects cad drawings and draw right on top of them using programs such as microvellum, this is a huge advantage in large jobs,espescially when you have many radius walls and curved reception desks. These are then sent to the architect electronicly, the architect will then mark these up with issues he sees or approve them as is, then they are printed and sent out to the different trades.The advantage is the production shop and the architect can communicate through the a-cad based programs.For shops using this approach and the correct software, when they get approved shop drawings, they now also have everything they need to go to production.

The procedure I use for commercial work is a little redundunt, and as I have mentioned before, e-cabs has to be reworked a bit before commercial shops would really be able to use it effeciently.

I currently bid work using a spreadsheet estimating system, then if I am awarded the bid I sub out my shop drawings to a company who does just that, they use auto-cad or compatible software, these are sent to the architect for mark up or approval and then printed. e-cabs really can not be used to get this info that they are looking for in a effecient manner that I am aware of.I then have to redraw all these rooms in e-cabs and insert the cabinets to get cabinet #'s and information to machine. I then print out the rooms with cabinet #'s for the installers. I am not sure if this info. is what you were looking for, but I hope it is useful. If you would like, I can send you a set of shop drawings in pdf, similar to what the architects are looking for. These might be helpful to any one developing the lde or using a complete different approach. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, I am very interested in this area as it is really the only area I have any real trouble with in e-cabs.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Ken Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Ken Susnjara »

Thanks Mike, this is exactly what we are looking for. Please do send me a typical job so we can see exactly what is needed. We would very much like to make this as good as possible as long as we are going to work on it anyway. We would like to make eCabients a tool that can address this area efficiently. If there is an advantage to sending files that can be incorporated in larger jobs, that is probably what we should do. This is not something we can do instantly but it is certainly something we plan to work on.
Rolf Bergstrom

Post by Rolf Bergstrom »

I have been away from the board and eCabs a long time and just popped in to see what was new and this post caught my eye immediately.
I have been using a competitive package for the last year or so for two major reasons:

1) I absolutely positively must have DXF out of line drawings for exactly the reasons mentioned above. The package I am using has just as many shortcomings in producing line drawings as eCabs but has the ability to export DXF.
2) The ability to produce individual cutlists by cabinet with every detail for the individual cabinet listed on a single sheet, the cabinet parts, opening sizes (for locating stretchers/partitions, etc.), hinge plate/drawer slide locations (on 32mm line bore), hinge bore locations, drawer boxes, drawer face lip (for locating the drawer faces relative to the drawer box), basically everything needed to assemble and/or cut the cabinet.

As you can tell we are a non-CNC shop and while I realize that the business model of eCabs is to sell routers, if I had these two things I would have been/would be more inclined to use eCabs and when it came time to purchase a router...
Iain Hall

Post by Iain Hall »

I seem to have opened the proverbial pandora's box oh well.

I would use the DXF files so that I could produce measured elevation drawings to submit to my customers alot of my work is rural and I am trying to avoid extensive travel time while keeping exact fit and quality a very high priority. What I do is email my customers elevations with dimensions and having them confirm before I start production If I could export to DXF I could then use Autocad to customize the drawing making it easier for my customer to understand also I can output to PDF from Autocad I do not put anything into production unless I have these confirmed drawings as well some of my commercial customers must have these drawings before a PO will be issued.

So in short DXF output would help protect the cabinet builder and customer.
Iain Hall
Woodwright Cabinets