Label symbols

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Label symbols

Post by Damon Nabors »

I like the concept of the symbols on the labels for sorting purposes but I am also curious if there is a way to change the type of symbols that are being used. Stars, Moons, Robots,TP's, Arrows,ETC... are cute but it makes it hard to develop a system. I use sorting carts to put my parts in as they come off the router and they are labeled 1,2,3, and so on. It would be nice if maybe we could change those symbols to numbers or alphabet letters. I have two guys working in the shop now and they like to be smart A** 's and want to know if when loading the cart, "Do the starts or Moons go in slot 1 and so on....." :D It is hard to make it systematic with those symbols. If someone has a better idea or if I am just missing something, I would be interested in your input.

Thanks,
Damon Nabors
Gary Urlacher

Re: Label symbols

Post by Gary Urlacher »

Although this answer should come from the Thermwood people, There is a sub directory called symbols in the rolling nest / labels directory.
This seems to be the location for the symbles they use. These are BMP files. I am sure if you created new BMP files the same size with what you want on them, then replaced the existing ones (back up to another directory), you should get the result you are after.

Gary
Gary Urlacher

Post by Gary Urlacher »

For got to say, I do agree with you about changing to a number / letter system. The concept is great but I do not know what all those symbles are so to say to someone, "hand me all the squiggles" seems kind of funny to say the least.

Gary
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

I like the idea of the symbols as well. Actually my favorite is the colored blocks, but the Dymo printer on the machine is B&W, and I don't wanna replace it with a color one.

First thought that comes into my head is AA through ZZ. That's a lot of "symbols" (676 by my count,) and easier to say "Hand me part BG" than "Hand me part Three Diagonal Squigglies"... which BTW don't show up well on my labels. Kinda faint.

No harm in trying. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it tomorrow, got a pretty big job to print labels for. I'll let you know how it works out.
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

I use the Zebra label printer which seems a bit more Robust than the standard unit plus the labels are bigger and easier sourced in OZ. Out of interest to print colour labels do you have to use a standard inkjet printer and use Avery type sheets? Is there any more development with the label information with Version 6 of Ecabinets nearing Beta?

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia