Efficient way to assemble cabinets (hiPurformer glue)

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Patrick Russell

Efficient way to assemble cabinets (hiPurformer glue)

Post by Patrick Russell »

I'm asking for some ideas on the best way to assemble cabinets. With the speed of cnc technology and blind dado construction what fastens are the best. Has anyone have experience with the Hipurformer hot melt glues. I've tried them and having a problem with the glue not allowing me to bring the joints flush together. I like how fast they cure and knot having to use clamps. Just some ideas to speed up assembly. :beer: Thank
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Efficient way to assemble cabinets (hiPurformer glue)

Post by Damon Nabors »

1/2" material I use glue in the blind dado's and 1" staples.
3/4" material I use glue and 2" screws to pull the joints together.

I have talked with some people using the Hipurfomer glues and have been told that they work best if you only use it in the corners of the cabinet to act as a spot weld and still use regular wood glue in the middle of the joint.

I have considered purchasing a UV Wood Welder, this would be the fastest scenario but I am just not ready to invest in any more equipment right now.
Damon Nabors
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

Pat ,

How much open time do you have with that glue?

My suggestion is to just use clamps to pull the joints together, I think you would only have to leave the clamps on for maybe 2-3 min.

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Patrick Russell

Hi Gary,
They come in 30 sec, 60 sec,and 75 sec cure time. The viscosity is pretty thick which is causing my joints not to come together tight. I like how fast it cures and the strength of the joint. Just having a difficult time of getting the joint tight. Wonder if anyone else uses this product has the same problem or having success with it.
Patrick
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Make your tenons sloppier. The glue will have a place to go. Try a few test pieces and see what kind of strength you have after a full cure.
Dell Precision 7710
Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
512 GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

http://lrgwood.com
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

I found that the 75 sec and 5 minute seem to work the best. I prefer the 5 minute due to the thin viscosity...clamping it for a couple minutes to "squeeze" parts together.

I also glued the cabinet up normally with Titebond yellow glue. After I had the clamps on, I "spot-weld" unseen places so I can take the clamps off for the next cabinet. The spot-weld just holds it for the yellow glue to dry, which we also sped up using a small hand held RF. This saved on the glue tubes and kept the cabinets flowing through production. In fact, just about all the furniture, desks, conference tables, and cabinets made for our new building used this technique. We were also in a time crunch, so this saved me on certain items. Of course, some cabs you wouldn't be able to do this on because of visibility.
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

Also, don't forget about Assembly Marks. Even more info can be found on our Blog.
FredHirsch

Post by FredHirsch »

Patrick,
I use the hipurformer glue with the blind dado construction. Jody is correct, use it more like a tack welder and yellow glue for the bulk of it. I've ruined a couple of projects trying to use the 30 second set time, it just sets way to fast. That being said, if the panel doesn't show, I haven't found anything faster than Damon's 2" screw technique. I've often wondered about a combination blind dado and KD fasterner type of setup, but software doesn't support it without going into part editor.
Fred
Fred Hirsch
Patrick Russell

Thanks for all your input
Patrick