3cm Solid Surface Material

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Keith Neal
Company Name: Wilbedone Inc.

3cm Solid Surface Material

Post by Keith Neal »

Any suggestions on cutting 3cm solid surface material(mainly Formica Indepth 30x120"x3cm).We fabricate countertops and have no problems with standard 1/2" materials but the 3cm seems to decimate our router bits within the first sheet.We've tried multipass cuts(which seem to wear the bits out unevenly) and different routerbits at different speeds&feed rates with little success.Also we must be able to get clean cuts in able to seam our cuts together.Thanks.
Nemanja Vujkovic

Re: 3cm Solid Surface Material

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

Keith,
have you tried a bigger bit, let's say 3/4" diameter? You can cut it in one pass with this bit.
Keith Neal

Post by Keith Neal »

We've tried different sized bits,they all seem to be rendered useless after one sheet of material(3cm thick) is cut,perhapsthe density of the material may require a different style bit(PCD instead of carbide?)We don't have this problem with our 1/2" thick material(std corian,formica and LG himacs)I can get 25 sheets or so per 1/4"bit but the 3cm Indepth is so brutal on the tools and I barely get the one.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

You are not wearing them out you are burning them up from going too slow. Have you tried a single flute plastic cutting bit ? Talk to tech support at the tooling company of your choice. Onsrud or Vortec about feed rate and rpm. Please let us know what you found out
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Zach Froble

Post by Zach Froble »

We have been cutting the 3cm Affinity and EOS brand solid surfaces with and 3/8 Onsrud spiral O-flute bit. I would estimate that we get between 15-20 sheets per bit at about 150in/min. I was checking on The Fabrication Network forum and these guys were talking about cutting the 3cm with a bit Pinske that claims to cut at 1000in/min. I was thinking about ordering one since they are about the same price as the Onsrud bit I am using now. I am not familiar with the Formica brand 3cm. Is it a acrylic or a polyester blend?
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services
Keith Neal

Post by Keith Neal »

Zach-Formica 3cm is a polyester blend(96%).We tried cutting it with a vortec 3/8 helix upspiral spindle speed 16000rpm at a feed rate of 100 and got a horrible burning smell and the router was running awfully loud.Any suggestions on spindle speed?
Nemanja Vujkovic

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

Keith,
try 18000-20000 rpm and at 400-500 ipm. You can allways slow it down if the feed speed is too fast!
However, i think the safest bet is 3/4" straight flute at 15000 rpm and 500 ipm.

Nemanja
Zach Froble

Post by Zach Froble »

Kieth,

I just tried a 3/8 2-flute rougher/finisher bit with chipbreakers. I ran it at 18000 rpm and about 200ipm in three step passes of approximately .4 each pass. The cut quality was pretty good. We had a small seam that all we did was sanded a little with a block and glued. No matter what bit I have tried the noise from the cutter has been extremely loud. I think the burning you are getting is from to slow of a feed rate. You should be able to run that bit at close to 200 ipm. I am still testing out bits with this stuff, but I will keep you updated with any new bits I try. I am going to order the bit from Pinske to see if it all they say it is. I will let you know when I get a chance to try it out.

Zach
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services
Keith Neal

Post by Keith Neal »

Zach,
tried the 3/8 onsrud two flute @ 18000 rpm 3 passes, it ran loud as hell (from every forum I've visited thats to be expected with 3cm)but cut beee-utifully! I only needed to barely touch up the seam. I'm trying to convince the penny counters in our office to let me order the Pinske, from what I've read into this looks the way to go. Many thank yous!

Keith