Depth Clearance

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nemanja Vujkovic

Depth Clearance

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

I got a big job to cut with thousand or so shelves. The shelves have bookends which are dadoed on the top of the shelves. I want to glue them up with hot glue so i do not have to clamp them and because of that the depth clearance is set up at 3/64" (0.0469"). It's looks all good until it's cut. To me, it looks like that on the left side the depth clearance is not applied. I believe that the dado for the tanon is cut at the right place and at right width so the depth clearance is good, but the outline is cut just a little bit pass the dado. This resolts in a small strip of material left on the tanon which is not a big deal cause i can easily clean it up with a file, but the tanon goes all the way inside the dado on the shelfe and there is no clearance.
Any help will be appriciated.

Nemanja
Attachments
test.esj
one of the shelves
(168.02 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Depth Clearance

Post by Damon Nabors »

What do you have your depth clearance set for. I have run into this before and just increased the clearance. The first time it happened, I had to belt sand every tenon so that they did not bottom out in the dado. :fire: Not a lot of fun having to do this a several hundred parts.
Damon Nabors
Nemanja Vujkovic

Damon,
the depth clearance is set at .0468" so the hot melt glue can stay inside the dado. So it does not get pushed out.

Nemanja
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

I would think that is plenty. I normally use .030.
Damon Nabors
Nemanja Vujkovic

I would think so too, but the problem starts when its not cut with the set clearance. :wall:
Jon Kenworthy
Company Name: darrells Carpenter Shop

Post by Jon Kenworthy »

I thought this was going to be an easy problem to find a work around for but after about 7 tries of different ways to "trick" e-cabinets the only way I could do this was to make 2 identical cabinets, one with the desired depth of the tenon and one with the depth plus .0469 and when it got back to the machine, filter out the longer tenons on the ends and the shallower depth on the deck.
Nemanja Vujkovic

That sound like its a lot of work. I was hoping that one of the Thermwood guys will have something to say about it, an easier way to fix it.,

Nemanja
Nemanja Vujkovic

Good morning everyone!
I am wondering how come nobody from thermwood answerd me yet. Maybe just to tell me that they know about the problem and that they are working on it.

Nemanja
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Nemanja,

If you are needing a response from Thermwood it is always best to report the problem using Feedback in the software. This goes directly to the programmers and will get you the answers you need. If you are in desperate need, give them a call.

Kerry
Nemanja Vujkovic

Thanks Kerry.
I have some problems with internet connection on the laptop i use for eCabs so i cannot use Feedback. :( And i kind of do not really have time to call because its realy busy overe here, so i was hopind that somebody will have something to say about my problem.

Nemanja
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Nemanja,

Email them at cabinets@thermwood.com with your problem. You can't count on the right person seeing your post on a forum when you need an answer fast.

Kerry
Nemanja Vujkovic

Thanks Kerry.
I will try to e-mail them.

Nemanja