Buying & Updating a Used CNC?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Jesse L Layman

Buying & Updating a Used CNC?

Post by Jesse L Layman »

Can anyone share their experience or advice regarding the purchase/updating of a used Thermwood CNC? Check out this machine: http://www.machineking.com/2000_thermwo ... egory_id=0. At half the price of new, this seems like a really good deal, but what updates would be necessary, and at what cost? Would a machine that is only a couple years old require any updates at all?
Jesse
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Buying & Updating a Used CNC?

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Jesse,
I think that is a high price for a 2000 C40. I have a 2002 C40 that I bought new and then a few years ago bought a C42 with twin spindles and twin tables. I did it because I already had the same exact year system so parts are interchangeable and I know the CNC and controller and besides I like my first one so why wouldn't I buy another. I have looked into upgrading to the Next Gen controller and depending on what you want it can be 8-11K or more. But I would contact Jeff for an actual quote.

Get the serial # of the CNC and contact Thermwood Service to give you a history on it. It was extremely helpful for me.
Now don't forget you will need to have it shipped and then a rigging co. to place it. I would recommend you have Thermwood do the install and setup with a PM to make sure everything is working to spec. Will you be using Ecab exclusively? If not you will need other Cad/Cam software and a post or several like I have for different fixture setups for the CNC.

That CNC is a little slower than mine (C40 1500IPM C42 with Turbo 3000IPM) which is a little slower than some of the current ones but depending on what you are doing it may be all you need. You should also make sure you have enough 3 phase electricity available and the correct transformer to step up to 460 volt. Each step can be a several thousand $ cost so make sure you make a check list. Also I think that if Thermwood installs the CNC and goes over it, you might be eligible to be on advanced support which comes in handy when you need it by phone instead of waiting for some one to reply on the forum. Plus you get a discount on some electronic parts but once again I defer to you calling Thermwood support for details.

Now you may have some of these things covered by the purchase but I hope this helps.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Jesse L Layman

Post by Jesse L Layman »

Michael,
Thanks for your help. Clearly the best thing would be to call Thermwood. However, I would still like to hear from more people who have bought a used machine, if anyone is willing to share their experience.
Jesse
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Give me a call 810 310 1111
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hi Jesse,

For your convenience I've listed the contacts here at Thermwood if you choose to contact us for support reasons:

Upgrades & Retrofits:
Phone: 1-800-221-3865 (Ext. 251)
email: retrofits@thermwood.com

CNC Programming:
Phone: 1-800-221-3865 (option 3)
email: program@thermwood.com

Machine Service & Maintenance:
Phone: 1-800-221-3865 (Ask for Field Service Tech.)
email: service@thermwood.com
Dennis G. Blackburn

Post by Dennis G. Blackburn »

Doesn't look to me like the picture matches the description. Moving Table - not Moving Gantry. Big difference. what else is not accurate?
:oops:
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Ya, I thought the same thing...Not the right picture for the description..
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

If you look further into the site you will see another Thermwood for less $$ and it has basically the same description. Cut & paste but they forgot to edit
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1