For those who've never had the pleasure...

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

For those who've never had the pleasure...

Post by DanEpps »

...of living in the southern U.S. and experiencing extremely high pollen counts.

This is a picture of our swimming pool cover. I cleaned the cover yesterday afternoon and all of the water and pollen accumulated overnight.

This is pretty much a daily occurance until mid-June. sniffle...
Pollen on the pool.jpg
Pollen on the pool.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Re: For those who've never had the pleasure...

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Dan,

That is pretty nasty. We have had so much rain here this year, that we have not seen that much pollen as of yet.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

We have had more rain this year than we have in the last ten or so years. The state climatologist said recently that every county in the state is drought-free for the first time in many years.

I sure hope the rain and high winds we had last night has blown away much of the pollen for a while. Everyone's eyes are so swollen around here, it looks like they've been stung by bees in both eyes.
Dennis G. Blackburn

Post by Dennis G. Blackburn »

Dan, Find a local beekeeper who "traps" pollen. If you start eating about a teaspoon of local bee pollen a day - your allergy problems should go away. By the way - all that water you Georgians are getting does not seem to be soaking into the Georgia Clay. It's all running down to Florida. Last week - I could see where I-10 was getting close to flood stage in a couple places. Apparently 400 families have now been evacuated from their homes.
JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

Post by JohnLashuay »

Dennis G. Blackburn wrote: If you start eating about a teaspoon of local bee pollen a day...
Sounds tasty!! Are there different flavors?? :wink:

Seriously though, this sounds quite interesting. What is the consistency of the pollen? Is it in powder form or other?
-John
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43
Dennis G. Blackburn

John, If you look real close on the hind legs of a honey Bee, you will see little yellow or orange "balls" of pollen. Bees collect this and take it back to the hive to eat (like bread). It is a combination of pollen from plants and bee saliva. It is normally dried a little before marketing - but it's not really crunchy. I used to be a Beekeeper and there is a little gadget that you put on the front of the beehive (POLLEN TRAP) that collects the pollen off the bees legs as the worker bee enters the hive. Supposedly it is the most valuable food there is on the face of the earth. TYPE Bee Pollen into your browser and you will get tons of information on it. It's best to eat bee pollen from your own area since those are probably the pollens that are causing allergic reations. NOW - once you learn all about that - you should also read about Royal Jelly. It's a bit more expensive since that is what the bees feed to the queen that makes her bigger than the rest of the bees. Don't beleive what they say about propolis though. I've seen bees collecting paint from a cabinetmakers shop to make propolis. I would not want to eat that.
Bees are fascinating. Creative Inteligence in action.
JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

Post by JohnLashuay »

Thanks Dennis, I'll look into it.
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Dennis G. Blackburn wrote:...all that water you Georgians are getting does not seem to be soaking into the Georgia Clay. It's all running down to Florida...
That has been a problem for quite a while here...sort of. Seems there is some small fish or shellfish in Florida that deserves the water that falls on the ground in Georgia more than people in Georgia deserving it for drinking??? The result is that we aren't allowed to keep the water in our resivoirs and have to send it on downstream to you guys. So, if you have too much, SEND IT BACK!!! :joker:
Dennis G. Blackburn

Dan, Even with all that water, we are still in drought conditions in Florida. :roll: Don't blame that little fish on me. I'm allergic to all fish and bee pollen doesn't help THAT allergy. :mrgreen: Ummm - I think we will keep your water though. :P
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

How about if we just send you the water that's full of pollen? Its hard to imagine Florida ever having drought conditions. Every time I have been there you have a thunderstorm every afternoon.

Hey, maybe global warming will evaporate enough water that it will rain more often??? :lol:
Dennis G. Blackburn

Dan, That's good. I hear that we are going to start growing PEACHES in Florida. Maybe we will have some bumper crops if you get peach pollen down here. OK - time to get to work.