Unable to Create Pocket in Part Editor

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Unable to Create Pocket in Part Editor

Post by Nat Wheatley »

I get the error message shown below when I try to select the rectangle upper right hand corner of the part in the image. I brought the rectangle in as a DXF which was created in Bobcad. I'm not clear on what to do differently. Thanks.
Error1A.PNG
Error1A.PNG (46.7 KiB) Viewed 4645 times
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
jerry johnson

Re: Unable to Create Pocket in Part Editor

Post by jerry johnson »

Nat, I am not sure how to use the Bobcad file but you can create a pocket in eCabinets in the part editor. Simply select the rectangle tool, enter the dimensions you need, select the arrow tool, left click on your rectangle and it will turn red, right click highlighted area, select "cut/pocket using geometric shape", specify cutting depth, select ok. It seems like a long process but it is real simple. Hope this helps. 8)
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Thanks Jerry, that's what I ended up doing. I need to create this hole and notch pattern on quite a few cabinet sides, so I was hoping to do it as a DXF, that I could bring into PE each time. I was able to do it with the holes, but not the notch. It does turn out to be pretty easy just to create the pocket from scratch, though. Thanks again for the help. -Nat
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

When you need to repeat the same pattern on several parts, you can save the pattern and reuse it. Before making the cuts you can save the geometry by clicking the "Save Geometry" (diskette) icon. For parts that have already been cut you can recreate the geometry in Contour Mode of the Part Editor by right-clicking and selecting "Create Edges" from the drop-down menu. You can then save that geometry as before.

The folder icon in Contoru Mode is where you load the saved geometry (just like a DXF). Just click the drop-down for "Files of type" and select X_T instead of DXF.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

There is a possibility that the rectangle was created as one entity instead of four individual lines. I'm not sure about BobCad, but the AutoCad Rectangle command creates one entity that can be exploded into the four lines. If BobCad does create the Rectangle as one entity, then you may have to redraw it line by line.