Sign making

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Dan Craig

Post by Dan Craig »

I'll second the recommendation of CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) for treating exterior wood. I've used it for years on exterior work and paint and other finishes adhere to it very well, and it adds a ton of stabilty to the wood.

Great, but not cheap, stuff!
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Hey Brian,
We have BobCad ver20.5 with Bobart X pro and do most of my 2D drawings in it. If you get it make sure you get the training libarary and SOD (support on Demand) to help refine the post for your CNC. and most important is to sharpen your negotiation skills. If you do not bargin with them you paid TOO MUCH. Great program for the money and even better when it's discounted.

We also use Enroute 3 Pro for our tool pathing and ordeer of operation strategies. Excellent toolpath options but it lacks in CAD drawing ease.

We also just picked up ArtCAM pro ver 8 for our 3D work. It does it all. Excellant program and forum. I t does 2D and 3D and more but it is about 7500.00 USD. Well worth it if you are doing 2D & 3D. All 3 of these programs are great assets to our business but who knows V5 of Ecabs make replace them all :D :D :D :D

Let me know if you need any help.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Michael,

Thanks for the info.. I think if I can get 20.5 and Bobart pro X for $1500 or so, I'd be doing good. I just can't justify Mastercam or Artcam. I am a small shop but need some other cad/cam software to compliment eCabinets.

Brian
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

hey brian if i were in your shoes i would look at buying artcam insignia. you can purchase the entry version for somthing like 800-1500 and then you can always upgrade to the pro version, that way you wont be burdened with too many reatures that you wont be using at first. the only drawback to artcam is that it is not a good cad drawing program, i think artcam is a perfect compliment to ecabients, it will give you the ability to create parts that you cannot easily make in ecabients, if other people send you dwg files artcam will import them and maintain all the layers so you can still use geometry created by other people. if you really need a cad program turbocad cannot be beat and its really cheap, they also have a cam application that i dont really know much about but it is cheap. hope this helps
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Hey Brian,
I can save you enough money on BobCad to payfor your gas for the next 2 months+- but only if you can get back to me ASAP. I talked to my contact and got an excellant deal for you for Bobcad 20.5, BobArt ProX and the full training CD library. But you know how it goes they will honor this deal if you buy it buy 5PM EST Tuesday November 1, 2005. Send me your phone # and I will give you the details.

Let me know if you want it.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Jeff Norris
Guru Member

Post by Jeff Norris »

every software guy i have ever talked to has tried the end of the year deal on me or before the end of the month, they are like car sales men, any deal they offer you can be had again, dont make the mistake of giving the bobcad people your phone number or email address, i requested info on bocad three years ago and they still havent stopped sending me stuff.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Jeff,
I do not work for BobCAD or get a commission from them. I like to negotiate and help other woodworkers. This is not an end of the year sale. I have put a few deals together and I guess because it is less work for them to sell the buyer the savings are passed on. I will lose no sleep over it if Brian or anyone else I talk to does not want the deal I helped negotiate. They may have a better deal for what they need.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Zach Froble

BOBCAD/CAM

Post by Zach Froble »

Brian,

I have been using bobcad/cam for over a year now linked to my thermwood and it works great. I have had customers send me autocad drawings and opened up in bobcad without problems wrote the code for my machine.

You can't beat the price.

I also have bobart but haven't got a chance to play around with it.

Zach
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I must say Thank You to Michael. He did set me up with a VERY good deal on Bobcad and BobArt. He just gave me a number for his contact at Bobcad and I only paid half of what I expected! Thanks Micheal!

Brian Shannon
Dan Craig

Post by Dan Craig »

cool...can't wait to see the finished product!
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Brian,
Your welcome !! Hope to see some of your work posted in the gallery soon. I'm sure that the training videos will be very helpful. Let me know how you are doing with it. Looking forward to see what you will do with it. :D

Thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Jeff,

Have you had a chance to work on my sign yet? Just wondering. Also, if I use Extira, should I still seal it with a varnish? I did purchase BobCad but I'm sure it will be a while 'till I learn it. I think I will also check out Insignia that you suggested. Is that what you currently use? Thank you for your help Jeff!

Brian