Pocket tool

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Pocket tool

Post by Rob Davis »

I know I am a couple versions of CN behind.
However, the last two times I nested, I wanted to make a blind dado and full dado in 1/2" material. The 1/4" tool we were using was a resharpened one and had a 0.230" diameter. When the nest wrote the CNC, it said there was an error for the pocketing tool as a tool of 0.239 to .497 was not set up. I had a 0.230" and a 0.497 in the machine and the 0.497 was identified as the pocketing tool in the settings page. Why wouldn't it use the 0.230 tool? Is it because it takes multiple passes to get the width of pocket needed and it wants to only do it in a double pass? Or is this issue corrected in a later version of CN and I don't know it yet? Just wondering as I can see if a tool is too big there would be an issue, but too small????
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Re: Pocket tool

Post by Larry Epplin »

Dados (both Blind and Full) are not ran through the pocketing routine. They are simply rectangle cuts. This is why a tool has to be in a certain range. It is based on the width of the dado.

Pockets, however, use the diameter set in settings and is a fixed value. With eCabinets pockets are created by the use of the Part Editor.
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Larry,
This would be a useful upgrade to CN. The same way drill operations are changed to pocket operations (when a large enough drill or interpolate tool is not available); it would be helpful if CN could change all types of dado operations to pockets when all the rout operation tools are too small.

To keep it simple, the same single tool and settings limitation as drilling could apply. (as defined by pocket tool diameter and it's settings)

But If you're feeling inspired... Then stepping through the rout tools in "operation number" order would be cool. (still using the pocket tool settings)

This would save me some $$ as I would probably stop buying 1/2" tools all together and free up a tool changer position.

Rob,
I have never been able to justify resharpening a 1/4" tool. What do you pay for a new one? and to resharpen it? How long do they last, compared to a new one?

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Dave: we pay almost as much to resharpen one as a new one. The resharpened ones seem to last almost as long as new but not quite. We do a lot of MDF and melamine and that eats up our tools no matter what we use anyway. The 1/4" we use is straight bit and it doesn't get used all that much except when running 1/2" or 12mm stuff. Except for the reduced diameter meaning less cutting surface, I can't think of any reason a resharpened tool of solid carbide should last any less than a new one, is there? Since we send a box of tools to be resharpened and adding these is no "extra" cost, we do it. I have an understanding with the shrpening service that if these are more than 85% of cost of new, send me a new one. I may be all wrong for all I know. Call me cheap I guess since a dollar is a dollar. My wife claims I am tighter than bark on trees!
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Rob,
Just checking if you found a magic forumula.

I've always come down to: if sharpening costs a little less than new and they don't last quite as long as new, I should save myself any potential complications due to smaller diameter, do fewer tool changes, and not handle/track them for sharpening... and just run new. In the end I think I'm saving money by running new tools.

Regards,
Dave
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Didn't realize I should be on the lookout for a magic formula!! When I find it, I'll let you know.Until then, keep making sawdust!
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

Dave,

I believe this strategy will work nicely with the new pocket tool selection strategy we have planned for a future version. I'll plan to have this integrated with that development. A timeline for it's release is unknown at this time.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

I,ve been buying some 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch 4 flute up cut roughing tool From KBCtool that are fantastic The styrations left are hardly noticeable I have been using them for every thing. Actually I haven't loaded a 1/4 compression since I started using them. Call up and have them mail you a catalog 800 521 1740
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram