malware

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Dennis G. Blackburn

Re: malware

Post by Dennis G. Blackburn »

This is why I let my computer tech come and "do those things computer techs do". :lol: My machine is running better than ever today.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

The reason I don't allow "computer techs" to touch any of my computers is that most have absolutely no idea what they are doing--then they charge $200+ for it. I can't believe the number of computer "shops" that offer virus removal services for $50-$75. All they do is run a scan and remove anything it finds. If you have antivirus software, and have it properly set up, it will do anything the "tech" does.

Not only that, but there are so many unscrupulous shops in existence that I wouldn't trust them not to do more damage than they "fix." You wouldn't believe the number of computers that I've seen come back from one of the shops with malware on them (installed either knowingly or unknowingly by the shop).

Thanks, but no thanks, I'll take the $200+ and invest it in better preventative software myself rather than let a couple of untrained monkeys destroy my computers.
Dennis G. Blackburn

Post by Dennis G. Blackburn »

I've had the same one for about 6 years and he is a winner. He is very reasonable ($) and "knows" my whole system. He probably comes here twice a year for some little problem but checks everything out while he is here. I'm lucky - but I have met some of those bad ones - and I know what you are talking about. I would have a hard time calling the Geek Squad. :D
Rob Perry

Post by Rob Perry »

Kerry Fullington wrote:Dan,

I am having a problem with a Hi-Jacker also. It is from FastClick and the research that I did on it says it was developed to circumvent the Pop-Up Blockers used by browsers. It doesn't pop-up but inserts itself as a web page when you click a link. It tries to get you to click on their sponsors but offer a Skip Button that will let you continue on. I was able to block the content of the web page but I still must either use the skip button to continue or back out using the browser and continue. Very annoying.
I have the full version of AVG and it hasn't corrected it, I use Spybot Search and Destroy and it hasn't corrected it. I tried Lava Soft Ad Aware and it didn't find anything. I used the Microsoft Malware download and that didn't find anything either. I tried Kaspersky but can't get the applet to run. Java and Java scripting are allowed on my browser.

Any suggestions.

I just downloaded IE 8 and installed. I hope it has better spy and malware protection.

Kerry
On a previous Computer I had Problems With Browser Hijacking on IE. AVG, & Ad Aware would not fix the problem.
Someone recomended Trend Micro's Hijack This.
It Got rid of the Problem But you have to know what your deleting after it runs the scan.
In my latest Computers I have been running Mozilla Firefox & I have not had any Browser Hijacking problems.
AVG Free seems to be keeping my computer Clean and Problem free for the last 2 years..
Rob
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by George Davidson »

Hi Dan
I like . Kaspersky Labs
Attachments
Kaspersky_1_time 5.30.jpg
Kaspersky_1_time 5.30.jpg (103.58 KiB) Viewed 10812 times
Kaspersky_2_time 5.30.jpg
Kaspersky_2_time 5.30.jpg (103.24 KiB) Viewed 10812 times
Kaspersky_3_time 7.53.jpg
Kaspersky_3_time 7.53.jpg (107.41 KiB) Viewed 10811 times
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Here are 2 more I did
Attachments
Shot2.jpg
Shot2.jpg (109.11 KiB) Viewed 10804 times
5-5-09-5;39.jpg
5-5-09-5;39.jpg (115.83 KiB) Viewed 10802 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Unless you are VERY comfortable in your knowledge of the Windows registry, I recommend that you not use any tool from "cleaning" it. Many so called registry cleaners do far more damage than they correct and quite a few are even malware themselves.

In any event, ALWAYS make a backup copy of your registry BEFORE running any tool like this. The best way to do a backup is to run regedit, single-click on "My Computer" in the left panel of regedit, click the "FIle" and select "Export."

In the dialog that comes up, make sure "All" is selected in the "Export Range" selection at the bottom of the dialog. Pick a location to store the backup file (you might want to create a folder in your backups folder named "Registry Backups"), give the file a name (I usually use the date or something like "B4RegClean" so I can distinguish it from other registry backups) and click the "Save" button.
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

registry clearners Compared

Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

My advice to people is to never, ever use an administrator-level account for day-to-day business operations. If your day-to-day use account is a standard user level account, there is almost no way that the Windows directory, Program Files directory, or system-level registry entries can be infected. It's possible that your user account can become infected, but the machine won't. In that case, you login as admin, create a new user account and copy documents and favorites from the infected account to the new account and then eventually delete the old account. That being said, I do know that eCabinet Systems 5 and prior don't play well with this method; it's possible, but it's not easy.

It is also extremely important to install the monthly Microsoft patches immediately upon release. Microsoft has a schedule of using the second Tuesday of every month to release its patches for the month. This is colloquially known as 'Patch Tuesday'. As soon as Microsoft releases its monthly fixes, the bad guys get to work on how to exploit these newly-announced vulnerabilities in order to take advantage of users that don't religiously follow the Patch Tuesday protocol. This is colloquially called 'Wicked Wednesday' when the bad stuff starts appearing.

Occasionally, Microsoft will release what they call 'out-of-band' patches on a day other than Patch Tuesday. These are extremely hot because the bad dudes already have working code 'in the wild' for these vulnerabilities. On occasion, even the Department of Homeland Security has made it known these patches should be loaded immediately.

MySpace, Twitter, Facebook, et al, have all be hacked with malware in the past. Unless it's part of your business to use these sites, I'd recommend staying away from social networking sites on your business PC.

Microsoft will soon be releasing it's previous subscription-based Live OneCare as a free service to Windows users that are running valid copies of Windows. No doubt, there will be some antitrust rhetoric surrounding this software from the likes of McAfee, Sophos, and Norton.
Last edited by Dean Fehribach on Mon, Jun 22 2009, 8:39AM, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarify 'out of band'.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Microsoft offers notification by email or RSS when patches are released with either comprehensive or basic information about the patches. Information for subscribing to notifications can be found here.

I did fail to mention in my post above that other software vendors have taken to using Patch Tuesday as well. Most important of these is Adobe. It is very critical to keep Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe Reader up-to-date because these are very common attack points, too, primarily because users may not be as diligent at updating these as they are Windows and Internet Explorer.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

You will regret installing microsoft one care . if your computer is networked with your cnc .

Every time one care ran a scan I would lose my network connection. then it would take several hours or days and calls back and forth to one care tech support in the phillipinesto get back to where I started from .

I got to know these people on a first name basis . The bad thing was that the next time I called I was told that they could not access the records of the previous call . And I would have to start all over again.I had to call them every month .

Finally I uninstalled one care and have not had a problem since I am currently using ESET NOD32 at the recommendation of my tech. So far so good .My tech 's opinion of one care was that it was a virus in it's self .
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

I've been using NOD32 for years and have never had any problems,definetly give it the thumbs up :beer: